The Planted Tank Forum banner

Need advise on what Shrimp to sell

985 4
Hello, I am looking to start a shrimp farm to bring in some extra $$ while im in school for my masters and need some advice from the pro's.

I have been keeping shrimp for 5 years and have perfect water, ect. so just looking for advise on what I should sell. considering tiger, crystal reds, fire reds, ect. what would be the best bang for my buck? I have 6, 10 gal tanks cycled and ready.

Thanks in advance
Mitch
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
424 Posts
As someone who is currently struggling with the water side of keeping shrimp I would suggest those with the highest tolerance for water parameters....or educational instruction on obtaining the right water.

I have 10 tanks- three of which are shrimp tanks. I had success years back with RC and so I thought I would try CRS.
I also raise angels and a LFS traded me some neon yellows and some blues .....and I am currently struggling like crazy to provide what they need....

once I get that figured out- I would happily by a buyer of whatever you choose to sell.

· Registered
1,763 Posts
I only made money on RCS in the years I have kept shrimp. I routinely spend more money on shrimp then I make off of them. Mostly because I have tried some hard to keep shrimp that did not do so well, like red tigers and super tiger shrimp etc. and cardinals. But if I would do it for the money only I would stick with my tangerine tigers and snowball shrimp. The tangerines used to breed like crazy until I moved them into their new tank, now they just keep the population stable. But I had to move them from a 30 gal pleco breeder tank to this 10 gal because gammarus shrimp showed up in the 30 gal and took it over. In order to get them under control I wanted to add some fish and had to move the tangerine tigers. They used to breed like crazy but not anymore. I recently added snowball shrimp with the tangerine tigers and now both groups breed ok to where I hope to bring some of each to the Atlanta Spring auction. I would not count on making much money on shrimp or fish for that matter. You would be better off getting a night time job.

· Registered
241 Posts
If you can keep TB and breed them easy I'd go that route. It'll probably cost you a couple hundred dollars to start off with a high quality colony but if you can keep them alive and breeding they go fro $6-18 each. Or if you find a LFS that you can be a supplier to I'd breed fire reds, super easy and everyone loves them. But i wouldn't expect to make much money for the time invested. Imported shrimp are way cheap nowadays and their seems to be plenty of places to buy from.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
shrimpys are staying alive

Finally got the water parms correct last week. I lost 4 blue tigers (ouch) about a month ago during there first week on the tank. i haven't lost a red, super tiger, tang tiger, blue tiger, or red tiger since. they all seem happy and rush for the food on every feeding, so now just have to get them to start breeding. And figure out my blue green algea problem. I may get some RCS if these guys reproduce, I have to prove to myself i can do this first:wink2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.