The Planted Tank Forum banner

Which scape is more appealing to the eye

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have recently set up a Betta plated tank (Fluval Flex 34l). It has been 16 days and I had to play with the design. I loved the initial set up but it felt ''not complete''
I would appreciate your opinion and advise on which lay out is more appealing to the eye.

Please see initial set up pictures below:

After rescaping, this is how the tank looks now:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also prefer the original layout over the revision. If I were to change/add anything I would place some stones in right back corner and attach the java fern to it or stick in crevices. The added height and texture of the stones would add some depth. You could probably just use the stones with moss in the foreground for that, while opening up the area for your carpeting plants. Instead of the piece of wood on the left, maybe consider replacing with some cryptocoryne balansae. As it grows tall it'll sweep over the top and break up the light a bit which I'm sure the betta would appreciate. Plus it just looks cool to have a little shadowy corner.

I think the tank looks great regardless, but this would be my way to "complete" the tank if it were mine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree with everyone else. If you use a plant on one side of the tank, make sure to use it somewhere on the other side. It doesn't have to be completely symmetrical, but it makes the tank look more coherent. This is just a suggestion. In the end, it is your tank and you should do what you enjoy looking at the most.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would have to say I like the 2nd layout more. To me my eye was pulled to the empty space in the back left of the initial layout and it felt like not quite balanced, and nothing interesting to look at there except the thermometer or whatever that is coming in. With the addition of the large wood into that gap, now my eye is pulled to the center into the little interesting cave which was formed with the original wood. So it looks more like a cool jungle environment. If you get tired of the extra water changes that will come with that second piece of tannin-y wood you could probably accomplish the same effect with a good bunch of tall plants in that back left corner. If you like the brown water jungle look, theres plenty of ppl who say its good for bettas as well.

Its your tank!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.