The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm redoing my tank I have a 1 inch line system , 1 inch intake for my 110g {60x18x24} tank,
Equipment I have is Blue Line 1100g HD Pump,Nu-Clear 533,547 Filters and a Mazzei for my co2. I got 2 returns witch I use Two 3/4 Modular Y Split Hose and Nozzle for my returns?

{http://www.modularhose.com/}

IMO: 3/4 inch look very large for a 18 inch depth tank , I do have Two 3/4 reducer to 1/2 Y Split Modular Hose and Nozzle that I could use instead . Now will there be a lot of pressure coming out from my 2 returns from going from 1 inch > 3/4 inch > 1/2 inch , Will it just blow everything around the tank or should I just stick with my 3/4 inch setup?

This is a pic of my 3/4 inch Y Split Modular Hose and Nozzle. The 3/4 reduce to 1/2 inch Y Split is only the Hose and Nozzle that is 1/2 inch. This is all hook up to a 1 inch line system.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Its hard to say whether or not you will have a greater amount of pressure. Alot is going to depend on how that pump performs. Reducing down to 1/2" will create a smaller diameter of flow, thus more of a jet type of effect, while also creating greater head on the pump. Its just something your going to have to play with. If it is to much flow then you can just use a large flare nozzle. This will disperse the flow over a greater span and decrease the jet effect. The wye splits themselves will greatly reduce the flow out of each return in and of itself. Its just something your going to have to play with and find the ideal flow pattern once you are setup. Loclines will give you the flexibility you need to achieve that. Given that pump and 2 wyes forming 4 outlets the larger flares might be to much. I'm inclined to say the smaller flares might be better. But (theres always one of those)...Its really something your going to have to play with. To many unknown variables make it hard to get the advice perfect, plumbing design and scape alone are going to be big unknowns.

The wyes themselves aren't going to create to much head loss and will act like a larger round nozzle on the end of the 3/4" line. If you like the look of the 1/2" better then go for it. The availability of different nozzle tips will allow you to control the flow from there. In reality going from 1 3/4" line to two 1/2" lines via a wye isn't going to create much head loss if any. Remember off of those wyes you can also vary flow pressures to each of the two ends with different nozzles, ie one end with a small round nozzle and the other with a large flare. The small round nozzle will create a jet while adding head pressure pushing more flow out of the flare line. The round nozzle will give you a tight directional flow pattern with greater distance in the flow while the flare will give you a wider pattern with a reduced distance in flow. Now two round nozzles on both ends will create two jets and most definatly some type of head loss, now don't equate a head loss here as a negative, since I'm sure for that size tank and the given filter, you should have enough head pressure to play with unless you have completely borked the plumbing. So different nozzles on different ends will also give you flexibility out of each end.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.