The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had some False Julii Corydora for about 6 months. After a couple months I noticed some mild barbel erosion on a couple of them but it seemed to stop progressing. Recently it started up again and accelerated very rapidly to the point their barbels are mostly gone and one has a severe lesion (developed over a couple days) where his barbels were and seems to have stopped eating with the others.

After doing more research (which I should have been more thorough with earlier), I know I should not have put them in with my Eco-complete substrate. I feel absolutely terrible about that. Also, the fact that it took a while for erosion to appear but then accelerated so rapidly makes me think there may be some infection involved as well. Some of the reading I've been doing supports that possibility as well.

My first question: is this something they can likely recover from and still have happy lives?

Here's what I've done to try to get a little quick relief for them:
  • Started putting food in small glass dish to reduce scraping and keep the substrate cleaner. They seem to like this
  • Frequent and thorough substrate vacuuming to keep it cleaner
  • Increased water change frequency

I still need to change the substrate and try to treat any potential infections, but I need some advice:

In switching the substrate would it be less stressful for the fish to take them out or try to replace it in-place without removing them? I'm worried about stress weakening them if they are already compromised by infections.

For a new substrate I'm debating between sand or extra fine grain Marfied Controsoil (1mm grain size). I've read really good things about the Controsoil including that it doesn't have an initial ammonia spike like ADA Aquasoil does. Has anyone used it with corys?

Finally, how can I tell if they have an infection that is making it worse and if so what it is so I can try to treat it? I've read that people have seen rapid barbel erosion caused by flukes. How would I diagnose and treat that?

Any advice would help. Thanks!

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice!

I'm going to go by the local shop after work today to try to get a good smooth sand to cap my current substrate. If I can't find one locally I'll order from Amazon. My substrate is already about 1.5-1.75 inches deep. Will adding another inch on top be ok or will it likely lead to anaerobic conditions?

I wasn't able to get a good picture of the cory with the lesion last night. I'll try again tonight. I'm really hoping that can heal even if barbels won't regrow.

I'm about to order some of the New Life Spectrum Thera+A. Are the 1mm pellets a good size for corys or would the 0.5mm be better? I tried their 1mm floating betta pellets in the past and they were generally bigger than the 1mm said they were.

Unfortunately I have been feeding them Hikari wafers so far. Would Omega One sinking pellets be a good choice to go with the Thera+?

Thanks again!

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update on worst case

I've ordered the new life spectrum thera+ a.

Thanks for the additional information. I was on a weekly water change schedule but I've

I managed to get a picture of the cory with the big lesion. I think it's gotten worse in the last couple days. Anyone recognize this or have suggestions for treatment?

Edit: ! was on a weekly 50% water change schedule, but the last couple weeks I have been doing it every 5 days.

Attachments

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Rinfish. I had been under the impression that Columnaris just started at the gills and killed within a day or two but it looks like I was wrong. I guess I should have started the thread with a picture.

It's not as clear in the picture as I hoped but the white lesion/ulcer looks more like dead tissue than the cottony texture I've seen in pictures of columnaris. Is that still consistent with that diagnosis?

If I move him out to a smaller treatment tank what's a good way to go about killing the bacteria in the main tank and to protect the other fish? I haven't seen any of the columnaris white spots I found pictures of.

I'm going to the shop right after work to get some medicine. If they don't have the right medicine I guess I'll have to order it and wait a few days.

· Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to everyone who has posted here to help. I noticed what may have been the start of infection on another fish so I decided to treat the whole tank. I'm starting day two of treatment and already my fish are all more active than they had been lately.

I also found a couple things that have been hurting my water conditions but should be easy to fix:
  • I re-mixed my nitrate reference/calibration solutions and it looks like I've been getting artificially low readings and my nitrates were up to 35-45 ppm! (Higher than the 25ppm reference but less than the 50ppm) I did a 70-75% water change before starting treatment.
  • In doing the water change I tried a narrower siphon/vacuum tube and was horrified how much more mulm and plant detritus it pulled out of the substrate than my old one. At least it's out now.

So both those issues were probably big contributors leading to my problems.

I also received the Thera+A from Amazon yesterday and they seem to love it! Hopefully their health will continue to improve.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.