The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded to a 125 from a 55. I'm looking on advice on what other fish to add to my existing community tank once it settles and I get more plants for it.

Here's the list of fish I currently have, I know I have a lot of bottom feeders and odds and ends. Most have been either surrendered to me or rescued.

1 - Golden Gourami (Male, 4in)
1 - Blue Gourami (Female, 4in)
1 - Platinum Gourami (Female, 3in)
2 - Highfin Black Skirt Tetras (2in)
2 - White Skirt Tetras (1in)
1 - Purple Glowfish Tetra (2in)
2 - Yoyo Loaches (4in, 3in)
2 - Zebra Loaches (1.5in)
1 - Skunk Loach (2in)
1 - Red Tailed Zebra Loach (3.5in)
? - Kuhli Loaches (3.5-1.5in)
1 - Bumble Bee Catfish (4in)
1 - Picitus Catfish (5in)
1 - Bronze Cory Catfish (2in)
2 - Unknown Cory Catfish (1in)
1 - Regular Bristlenose Pleco (Male, 5in)
1 - Longfin Albino Bristnose Pleco (Female, 4in)
1 - Blue Eyed Lemon Peel Bristlenose Pleco (Female, 3.5in)
2 - Albino Bristlenose Pleco (Female, 5in, 4.5in)
1 - Flash Pleco (3in)
3 - Black Mollies (Female, 1.5in)
7 - Australian Rainbows (4.5-2in)

I am hoping to add some fish to this, so that fish that naturally would school can do so. I want to add more Picitus and Cory cats, as well as yoyo, zebra and skunk loaches.

I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks 馃槉

Registered
Many fish keepers often make this innocent mistake, they get a bunch of different species with very few individuals per species.

Different fish need to be kept with different minimum group sizes (i.e. Honey Gouramis need to be in a minimum group size of 6).

This will not only make their behavior more confident, outgoing, and friendly, but it also helps with their psychological and therefore physical health.

If you want to keep fish responsibly, research not only the group sizes, but also the behaviors/temperament of each fish and how it affects their tank mate compatibility. Pearl gouramis are bit more slow and peaceful in behavior, so the fast paced Rosalind shark is not a good tankmate because it will stress out the gouramis, even though the shark might never actively harass the gourami.

Good tank mate compatibility looks at what fish can survive together in a glass box. Great compatibility looks at what creatures will grow well together and develop a healthy society within the tank. Trust me, if you ever have the privilege of watching a well planned tank, it is worlds apart from other tanks.

So, to sum it all up, slim down the indispecies by matching behaviors (which will take somewhat extensive research), and bump up the number of individual fish to a species.

Sorry for the super long post, but I hope it helps

Sent from my SM-A215U1 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Are you sure you meant to respond to me? I was just wondering, because I dont have any of the species you mentioned.

I know I unfortunately have fish that should be schooling that are without a school. I have had many fish thrust upon me. I live in an area where there's no other people with aquariums let alone ones large enough to house larger fish.

I have smaller aquariums that are currently not set up. I was hoping to just have the 125 and my 75 salt, but would be willing to re set up my 55. Pointers on what should be moved back to the 55.

Registered
Yes, I meant to respond to this post.

I mentioned those species cause these are species that I spent a considerable amount of time researching their care and can confidently offer information off the top of my head. They were examples to help support/explain a point. The points themselves are still applicable to your situation/species

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I figured just wanted to make sure. I just didn't want someone else's question going unawsered.

I have several smaller tanks I can set up. What fish do you suggest I move down. I have a 55, a bowed 48 and 29.

Registered
I was of the understanding that you were planning to buy this stocking.

If you already do have these fish, then try to focus on what fish can be kept together based on temperament so that they don't best each other up, and also tank capacity without compromising the water quality. Then work on getting rid of the fish that you don't want or can't keep. Donate to fish stores or other fish keepers. I know you said that there aren't many around, but check out the reddit page called r/aquaswap. It could prove useful.

Many of the fish on your list I cant really offer anything more than surface level info about the general species. Im sorry I can't offer more

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I have all of the fish on the list. Sorry if I didn't write it as to make that clear.

All the fish actually do really well together. I watch them all the time for signs of fin nipping and any aggression or chasing. I unfortunately had to watch fish that had no business being together live in the same tank. When I worked as an aquarist for Petco. I wasnt allowed to put fish with proper tank mates due to the stupid planagram they had. One of the many reasons I quit. Also why I won't surrender fish to any LFS, as the only ones around are Petco and I know from experience they don't care if the people the fish go to can take care of them. I'll definitely check that page out though. Thanks

As for water quality I test weekly and it's right where it should be. I have two 80 gallon filters and a 60 gallon one as well. I also do weekly water changes. So that definitely helps keep nitrates and nitrites in check.

No problem I appreciate the help. I'm just trying to make them all happy and healthy. I'll take any advice I can get.

Registered
Considering the assortment of fish you are stuck with, and assuming you can't get rid of too many of them, aesthetically I would go for some "centerpiece fish," then a school of smaller fish for the top/middle, then a school of small bottom feeders, along with one or two of your bigger bottom feeders.

So with your current stock, use the 3 Gouramis as centerpiece fish, and then buy more of whichever of the tetras are your favorite to get a bigger school, then get more corys or loaches (getting rid of whichever you don't pick), along with a few of your bigger plecos. This is basically what I have done with bigger tanks, and it creates a nice balance where there is stuff going on all over the tank but it is still "organized" and there is still good schooling behavior.

I think a 125 with 3 gouramis, a school of black skirt tetras, and a school of loaches + 1 or 2 plecos would look really nice. If you want to stray away from this community setup (and also make use of all your Rainbows) I think a tank with a full school of Rainbows would look really cool as well, while still keeping a small school of bottom feeders and 1 or 2 plecos.

As far as getting rid of the fish that won't fit in to your new set-up, some of the smaller mismatched tetras/cories/mollies might be hard to rehome, but the plecos shouldn't be too hard. I'm not sure where you live, but near me, hobbyists and LFS are really looking for adult female bristlenose, apparently there is a shortage for breeding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.