The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a 55 gallon tank of craigslist sunday. I need some advice and pointers on how to set up a low tech planted tank. What lighting? Plants that would suit low lighting? I have a 29 gal high tech setup with co2 and ferts but i would like to try my hand at a low tech tank. The 55 is 48x13x21. It has 2-3 inches of sand in it. Thats it haha. I have a canister filter and glass top for it also. So obviously i need alot to get started. Thanks in advance for the advice and help

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right on haha i have one of those in my garage collecting dust. What plants will that grow? Would i be able to take trimmings from my high tech tank and put in there? Such as ludwigia repens anacharis and bacopa caroliniana?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If you are handy in a woodshop you can easily and cheaply make a light hood, and use standard "under counter" fluorescent T8 light strips, which are dirt cheap. My first real planted tank had a light hood with 6 T8 bulbs, using end caps and clips to hold the bulbs, plus a cheap magnetic ballast. This was around 1995 or so.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am handy with wood working as i have done finish carpentry for about 12 yrs. How did you finish the underside to discourage mold or mildew from growing? Would i need 6 t8 bulbs for a low light set up or would 2 be sufficient like earlier stated?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.