The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im setting up another planted(pressurized CO2) tank to house discus(degen red....any recommendations?) 46 gallon 30x24H tank
. The tank has a canopy that has a false back. My 58 gallon tank
has a 150w metal halide on top of it. Im really leaning towards 150w HQI(maybe the 8k ADA) for the new tank but am worried about stage fright(u know what I mean) and the heat generation. Id like to mount it inside the canopy(with fans). I usually run em 10-12 hours a day. Any opinions on lighting on this new tank. with the hqi i might shade part of the tank by blocking light somehow.

The other goal or option is to also mount other lighting to take some hours off the HQI lights to let the Discus better enjoy life. Any opinions on suplement lighting and moreso the HQI's?
Thanks!!
Tom

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
You can setup either T5 or PC bulbs on either side of the HQI. Run those for most of the day with the HQI going for 3-4 hours during the middle of the day for some accelerated plant growth.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.