The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and join this site to get some advice on LED lights for growing plants. I have a planted 60 gallon rimless cube tank that's 24x24x24 for my Abei Puffer fish. I'm thinking about getting the Finnex FugeRay Planted+ LED light as a replacement or in combo with my current Ebay Aquaneat LED light that's rated 10,000K white LED, 625nm Red LED, 625nm green LED, and 460nm blue LED.

Although Aquaneat is a nice cheap LED light option that seems to be lighting OK, I feel I need a more reputable proven lights that is well known to grow plants under a 24" depth/height. Let me know if Finnex FugeRa Planted + is the right LED light to go with or those that have use the Aquaneat ebay light think the current light is enough to do the job? Thanks.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It looks like you have all low light plants. If so, a Planted plus light would work, sitting right on top, except that it won't cover the full 24 inch front to back depth. You would need two 24 inch Planted Plus lights about 8 inches apart. That should give you enough uniformity in the light, and at least low medium light in the center of the tank.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Nice tank! The more I see puffers the more I think I would like one and lord knows i have enough snails to keep it fed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Nice tank! The more I see puffers the more I think I would like one and lord knows i have enough snails to keep it fed.
Thanks. I breed and raise only discus and this is my first planted tank. I went with puffer because my son wanted one. I now love them just as much as my discus. These guys are basically water puppy... Very active and fun to watch tear up food.

This is him now after he just ate. Being lazy and laying on top of the drift wood.

Bump:
It looks like you have all low light plants. If so, a Planted plus light would work, sitting right on top, except that it won't cover the full 24 inch front to back depth. You would need two 24 inch Planted Plus lights about 8 inches apart. That should give you enough uniformity in the light, and at least low medium light in the center of the tank.
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm leaning for the Finnex Planted+ 24/7. The more I read into it the more I like it. Price is not far from the other. I just hope the lights are enough for the 24" depth. The only thing I worry about is my Dwarf Hairgrass and cuba plants not getting enough light. I'll likely get the Finnex Planted+ 24/7 combine with my Aquaneat light and see how they grow those two plants in the next few weeks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.