The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

I have had a planted fish tank for several years and would like to setup a planted shrimp tank after the holidays. I have been reading as much as I have time for on the subject but I still have a few questions. I would really appreciate any advice.

My plan is to keep Red Rili and Tiger shrimp in a 20 gallon tank. I have ADA Amazonia II for the substrate. The filtration will be provided by 2 Aquaclear 50 HOBs with sponge filters on the intakes as well as an air powered sponge filter. I also have an air bar to help keep the water moving and oxygenated. Finally, I have a 24” Current USA LED Plus fixture for lighting.

I will be using RO water. Can I use Seachem Equilibrium to remineralize the water? If so, Equilibrium doesn’t seem to raise the KH. Do I need to add something to raise the KH?

This will be my first experience with ADA substrate. Does the soil provide all the nutrition the plants need or will I still need to dose fertilizers (I use the PPS-Pro method on my fish tank)? Or will fertilizers be harmful to the shrimp?

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't have a shrimp tank so I can't help you on whether or not you can use Equilibrium. But I would say that using that is better than using straight tap water. Maybe get some $.39 ghost shrimp from PetSmart and try them out?

As for Kh You can use SeaChem Alkaline buffer to increase. I am getting an RO/DI unit for the holidays so I've read into this some. From what I read (sorry don't have source) fish / shrimp don't care about Kh however Kh will stabilize ph. Which if you use CO2 you can swing the ph.

Don't quote m on this: So if you want to run low ph fish Alkaline buffer increases ph along side Kh so you have to roll Seachem Acid buffer to drop the ph but keep the Kh the same. Others use peat or driftwood to drop their ph that way.

Good luck and report what you find /do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I have read similar thing in regards to KH not being required for fish, inverts and plants. I have also read on sites like shrimpkeeping.com that Tiger shrimp require KH of 4 to 8. I am not sure what to believe.

If the shrimp and plants truly don't require any KH, I don't think I should need to use a product like SeaChem Alkaline. The ADA substate I am using is supposed to hold the PH steady. It is one of the reasons I chose it.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I use ghost shrimp as water testers too. Make sure to get the red rilis settled in when you're ready, then get the tigers. Also, tigers need cold water; anything above 70F will kill them (they get infections easily).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice.

I have read on a couple of sites that Tigers should be kept at about 76°. Are you sure that they need to be kept below 70°? If so, are there any other beginner shrimp that I can keep with Rilis at temp that doesn't require cooling?

Update: After spending the evening researching different options for remineralizing RO water, I have decided to use Salty Shrimp GH+ instead of SeaChem Equilibrium. I plan on having mostly mosses in the tank. Hopefully they will get all they need from the ADA soil and the SS GH+ so I won't have to fertilize the tank.

Thanks again for any comments.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Oh I'm sorry you're right. I was thinking of Orange Eye Blue TIgers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts