The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Getting ready to start up my tank and am soaking DW to prep it for the tank. It came secured to a slab of slate and I'm not sure whether to keep it like that, or detach it from the slate. My concern is that some toxicity may get built up underneath it with no way to escape.

And I should state I'm starting a low tech, dirted tank with soil underlayer and gravel cap. Lots of plants.

So, should I take the DW off the base or leave it?

Thanks!

p.s. looks like the pic is upside down. Have no idea why. If it posts that way, sorry about that. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks! I would love to keep the base since it positions the piece in such a beautiful way. Only concerned that soil would get too anaerobic under it with no way to resolve if its buried under the substrate. Or should I put it on top of the substrate??

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I stick pretty much all my driftwood on slate.

Just put the slate down on the bottom of the tank (maybe on top of eggcrate or something similar to prevent scratches), and put the substrate on top of the slate.

Nothing to really get under the slate or go bad or whatever.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I never worry about the hazards of this sort, even though I read about them fairly often. My thinking is that if a gas forms it will go to the top as quick as it forms. Once it reachs the surface it is gone so why worry about a theory. Has anybody really proved this happens or is it just that people need something to blame beside themselves?

If there were real problems, think of all the folks with stopped up undergravel plates. They never seem to lose fish do to a mystery gas buildup. But they do smell like a sewer when you pull them up.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Attaching slate to driftwood is fairly common. I wouldn't worry about gas buildup. Even if there was a buildup, the only worry would be if you were to remove it often enough that it could be a problem.

Great looking piece of wood by the way! looking forward to seeing it in your tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.