The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am growing Christmas moss and Fissidens Fontanus on a mopani log in my betta tank. It's 3G, with a 27W Finnex lamp. I dose with Flourish every week. The moss is growing well, but:

1) The Fissidens seems to be growing upwards, in untidy clumps. I'd love to have it cover the log neatly, but that isn't happening.

2) The Christmas moss was growing in clumps, but getting brownish in patches. I removed the thread which I'd used to tie it down to the log, while it got rooted in. I was disappointed when all the moss came off as well. Looks like it didn't root...

Can anyone suggest anything?

GB

·
Registered
397 Posts
People claim moss is oh so easy but it isn't. I can grow a dozen different plants but moss doesn't work for me. (Neither does java fern or anubias!)

I can get the moss to grow kind of but it gets tangled in everything or sucked up by filters. So I turned off my filter and then it got blue green algae on it!

I think the best thing to do is to buy it attached to something. The one time I had a nice mossy rock was when I plucked one from a riverbed. Then I decided to put it with a jack dempsey because it is "herbivore safe."

I think there is a lot of misinformation going around, especially of and relating to moss.

TL: DR I don't know what I am talking about. I think maybe fishing line could help if you were using string to fasten it. The string always seemed to deteriorate too fast for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.