The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'M PUTTING TOGEITHER A NEW SHRIMP. TANK IS 30X12X18 29GAL. THIS IS THE LIGHT I GOT. 6500K 65W FLOOD LIGHT. I WANT TO GROW STEMS, MOSS, FERNS. I ALLREADY HAVE IT AND IM SOAKING MY ADA SOIL NOW. DO I NEED TO ADD REFLECTOR? DO YOU HAVE ANY COMMENTS? I NEED SOME IDEAS. WILL THE LIGHT EVEN BE ADAQUITE? HERE SOME PICS.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Looks good!

The light is at 65 watts. I have a very similar light as well, but with only 2 bent tubes instead of 4. The only problem I can see with it is that 2 of the 4 tubes are hidden behind the front 2 (does that make any sense?). That would cause some light loss.

I would guess as it is now, you're probably getting 30-40 watts into the tank. I think with a good reflector, maybe some cheap mylar, you could get 35-45 watts into it.

But you are mostly growing some low light plants anyways, so it's not that critical. The moss and ferns should do just fine.

You may even want to hold out for a 65w coralife fixture from ebay. I just picked one up for $25 bucks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I Have Room For More Light. But Where Can I Get Some Mylar I Will Make A Post In Swap Shop. I Need Some Night Lights Also Leds.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've never used mylar, but it can be tricky. Do a search for some posts on it. It's usually the same stuff found in those shiny helium balloons.

·
Registered
162 Posts
How much was that light? Thats a good idea of using something like that for low cost light. However, by looking at your pics it does not seem like it is really lighting your tank. Please follow up, I would like to know how it works out for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts