The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have been sorting out the aquarium at work, and have set it up as a low-tech (Walstad method), and have it with fairly warm water (26 C). It has some cardinal tetras, harlequin rasboras, cory cats, and rams so far. The last species WAS going to be pearl or dwarf gouramis, but I've been reading that these tend to pluck mosses out - i know some individuals won't, but I don't really want to take the risk - the moss currently looks great!

So my question is, in a 300 litre 26 degree tank, which plant (including moss) friendly fish would you put in as the last species? I'm ideally thinking of a mid to upper level swimming species, around pearl gourami size, preferably colourful. My boss isn't a fan of rainbow fish.. Suggestions? How do you think Festivum cichlids would fare?

Thanks for all your suggestions!!

Josh

·
Registered
5 Posts
How many each do you have of the cardinal tetras, harlequin rasboras, cory cats, and rams? That will have an impact of how many more fish you can add!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's massively understocked - 15 cardinals, 15 rasbora, 4 rams, 6 corys. The gertrudes set me off on looking for rainbow fish that aren't so.. dismorphic.. as say the reds are - do you think neon dwarfs would work well? How are the key holes for digging? it's compost with a gravel cap - could be soil everywhere if they dig ;)

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Josh

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
A pair or harem of paradise fish would work, and they are not very sexually dimorphic (the males have longer fins and somewhat brighter reds, but that's about it). However, do not attempt to keep a lone male paradise fish if you go this route, as lone males can be downright homicidal to tank mates if they do not have another paradise fish to bicker with...if your tank is 4 ft long, you may even be able to pull off more than one male in the tank. I'll say for myself that in my 29 gallon community, my pair of PF's - named Bear and Pearl - practically ignore the long-finned zebra danios and the variatus platies they are kept with, and only really pick on each other. Even then, no real harm is done, only some chasing.

As for the keyholes...they are not known for being diggers. They should be quite plant safe. Bear in mind, however, that if they - or almost any anabantoid (I.E PF's) or cichlid, for that matter - breed, your tank could encounter problems.

·
Registered
269 Posts
What kind of mosses are you trying to protect? Most aquatic mosses in the trade are very resilient, quick growing species, and if yours are already well established, I don't think that a few nibbles would harm it at all. I keep a pair of pearl gouramis in a tank with Java Moss, and they didn't slow down its growth at all. They are a truly beautiful fish, very elegant, and I wouldn't immediately decide to exclude them from your setup!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's spiky moss (taxiphyllum sp.), it's well established now, so it may well put up with some nibbling, just don't want it destroyed!

My boss is very adamant that gouramis should be going in the tank, so.. I might just have to hope! In my own tank I have a pair of Sphaerichthys vaillanti and they don't touch the mosses (or crystal red shrimp/shrimplets)!

Personally, I'm a bit of a gourami fan, so I'm not at all against having them - except if they ruin the look of the tank!

Josh

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't be worried about pearl gouramis damaging your plants, especially if they're well fed. Also, they are top dwelling fishes, which would complement the mid-bottom dwellers that the tank is currently stocked with. Depending on your current stocking levels, you could probably get away with one male and 2-3 females in your tank. I have a similarly stocked 55 gal tank with a pair of pearls, cardinals, a ram, cories, and angels, and it is my favorite tank, makes for a really beautiful, balanced display in a planted tank.

You should post a pic of the tank, show us what that moss looks like. I am considering setting up a mostly moss tank soon and am looking for some inspiration.. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts