The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a placostimus (? spelling) for my 50 gallon tank. I had one but when we moved he didn't make it. But, my tank is looking awful. The pet stores all have them but they are all to small and I am afraid that my fish will eat him. Does anyone know where I can find an algea eating sucker fish that is more than 2-3 inches in size for my tank.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Welcome to TPT!

What else do you have in this tank?

IME BushyNosed Plecos (Ancistrus sp.) are some of the best algae-eating plecos, and most get only about 4".
I agree (Lauraleellbp is always right) and would add that bristlenose plecos are great as well. I have one in my 50g and he keeps the wood clean and glass. I still use a magnet cleaner on the glass though to keep it nice and clear.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Yes, we need to know what's already in the tank. Most of the time, Plecostomus aren't needed, especially the common pleco that you see everywhere in every pet store. They grow to about 2 feet long and really don't eat algae, except when they are very small (<4 inches). By the time they get bigger, they won't touch algae and will make your tank even dirtier than before.

If you have larger fish like cichlids, your best best to keep the tank clean is regular water changes and scrubbing the sides of the tank with a pad of some sort. There's no fish out there that will keep a tank completely perfect and spotless, most of that is up to the aquarist.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
The best algae cleaning device is you. Stick your arm in the tank and clean it. An algae eater isn't meant for completely eradicating the algae, its meant for keeping it in check.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Oh, ZTM, good for mentioning the venerable scraper fish. ;)

I like the rubberlip pleco for glass duty in larger tanks, but otherwise little Otos work quite well. I don't personally find much need anymore, the glass tends to stay clean enough without intervention, thankfully.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Oh, ZTM, good for mentioning the venerable scraper fish. ;)
Nothing beats the scraper fish :hihi:

I have had the best luck with otto's. They also will not harm any plants either. My dwarf sag got an algae issue and stopped growing. After placing a bunch in there, the plants were clean and growing withing a week.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Definitely agree with the Bushynose pleco, but only if you really want one and not just as something to clean algae.

I just love mine, but they must be fed daily once algae is gone, and they do make amazing messes (poop). Luckily, it's usually in one area, so not difficult to siphon out every 3 - 4 days!:)

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Definitely agree with the Bushynose pleco, but only if you really want one and not just as something to clean algae.

I just love mine, but they must be fed daily once algae is gone, and they do make amazing messes (poop). Luckily, it's usually in one area, so not difficult to siphon out every 3 - 4 days!:)
Really? Your BN only defecates in one area of your tank? Must be a well-trained fish (or extremely small tank)!

I love my BN, but he doesn't really do that much to any algae in the tank. I think too that I might have the most gregarious BN ever, since he's out all the time, day or night, despite having a multiplicity of hiding spaces. I second (or third or fourth) the otocinclus suggestion...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Your BN only defecates in one area of your tank?
Well, he spends the nights eating veggies, then retires to under his driftwood for the day, so yah, the poop ends up accumulating around where he spends most of his time! Not really potty trained, but good enough!:)

He's a premiere algae eater too. I've not had to scrape algae once since I got him, over a year ago. In fact I sometimes take algae covered rocks/decorations from other tanks to give him a treat.

I believe the Sp.3 is the best algae-eater, along with mine which is a sp. Rio Ucayali.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts