The Planted Tank Forum banner

Need a soil expert

426 10
Dear friends,
I am going to make a new start. I have 5lt of this soil which i dont know the type or name. I need some soil expert opinion, what this soil is. Can i use it in a planted aquarium.
Thanks in advanced...
Brown Soil Natural material Pattern Groundcover
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
17,852 Posts
Can i use this soil as a base layer under tropica aqua soil. Will it be useful or no need...
There's literally no way to know without chemical analysis to determine what it is. Or a photo of the packaging it came from.

Where'd you get it? Did it come in a bag or container?

·
Administrator
17,852 Posts
I get it from a friend of mine. There was no package.
Maybe you could ask your friend. Find out where they got it. Have them talk to their original source to find out more about what it is. Those are the logical steps to take.

Though, it's probably not worth the effort if you have access to other substrates in your country. You can use basic sand - even the type used to filter swimming pools - to grow some of the most amazing plants in the hobby. You should be able to get a 22 kilo bag for about 45 lira.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thank everybody for the replies. After your answers and my research it is eurostar aquaclay soil. I also have a bag of unused Tropica Aqua Soil. I think i am going to use the tropica alone in my aquarium and keep that soil for some other use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear friends,
I am going to make a new start. I have 5lt of this soil which i dont know the type or name. I need some soil expert opinion, what this soil is. Can i use it in a planted aquarium.
Thanks in advanced...
View attachment 1048750
It looks like one of the Brightwell soils? The one people use
with shrimp a lot? But either way, if you cap it with two inches of sand whatever nutrients are in it should not leach into the water column. But I'm real new at this; there are some really cool videos on YouTube with Father Fish, who has been doing dirted tanks for like 50 years, and he has experience with a wide range of substrates and how to cap them, and he always answers questions in the comments. Good Luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts