The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Got a nice high tech setup. Snails are eating my buces and expensive plants. No other fish in the tank. Got any ideas??
Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Assassin snails, loaches, or dwarf puffers. Assassins take up no space but can be slow at getting to the snails. Loaches are good but they like to be in groups. Dwarf puffers are god but they're small and nippy. What kind of tank are we talking about?

·
Registered
483 Posts
What about assassin snails? Loaches will eat them with relish, but in my own experience they don't go after the adults, they just keep the reproduction in check.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Loaches such as botia will eat snails. clown loach too.
clowns need a large group to thrive though, and get relatively large in time and are very mobile fish. Just keep that in mind when you buy them, they do have the potential to get over a foot long (just takes forever)

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I've got a pair of yo-yo loaches in my tank and they do an amazing job + they are fun to watch, they do like to have tight spaces that they can hide in and sometimes I swear theyre going to get stuck but they dont....

On a side note, I'm not 100% sure but I think they are also the ones gobbling up my ghost shrimp although I have yet to catch them in the act LOL but they are 100% awesome at snail control, when I got them I had literally hundreds within a week I struggled to find one, within a month the only place they were still holding was the filter media in my hob which I don't really care about.

I know they are doing an awesome job whenever I do any cleanup I find snail shells all over the place :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts