The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have attached pictures of two rams below. I've had both in my 36 gal for over 4 months. No issues, no fighting, no nipping, no territorial behaviour. I want to know if these are two females, or one male and one female (kinda wanna try to breed them)

Thoughts? (First two pics are of the same ram)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
You have two different species of fish it seems...one is a microgeophagus ramirezi and the other is m. altispinoza.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well than haha thats funny...bought them both as "blue rams"....so they are actually two different species then....the m. altispinoza (I gather bolivian ram) is the top one on the last picture correct?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
The top guy in the last pick looks like a dude. The other one is either really young and under developed or I don't think it is a quality specimen. I can't be sure of the sex, but my guess is another male. Mature fish I find are really quite distinct looking. If you have them side by side, I believe you could confidently see the difference.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The top guy in the last pick looks like a dude. The other one is either really young and under developed or I don't think it is a quality specimen. I can't be sure of the sex, but my guess is another male. Mature fish I find are really quite distinct looking. If you have them side by side, I believe you could confidently see the difference.

Hope that helps.
do you think they are the same species? Jeffw doesnt seem to think so

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
In the last picture the top fish is the M. ramirezi (german blue ram) the bottom is altispinoza (bolivian ram) Lol. Reminds me the time I bought a pot of really tiny M. minuta and thought it was HC until I started planting.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
both are male M. ramirezi (german blue ram)
here my old pair female is the one with pink in her..
View attachment 35699
Definitely not.

Look at the bottom fish: no black band accorss the eye, different eye color, different snout and body shape, different color patterning. It's not a juvenile german ram because it's clearly the larger of the two fish.

edit....now you've got me doubting myself lol. We need an expert in here!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
can't tell, its really hard, they are both GBR's but seems like they are underfed and under developed, they look so bad, try to feed them some blood worms and brine shrimp and other frozen food or even life food (mosquito larves from outside), and feed them, they are to skinny and even look/are deformed. put them in a tank for themselves until they gain some weight.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Definitely not.

Look at the bottom fish: no black band accorss the eye, different eye color, different snout and body shape, different color patterning. It's not a juvenile german ram because it's clearly the larger of the two fish.

Time to do some readup, ;) they are both GBR's
btw some gbr's don't have the black bands (I think the wild ones don't have any black lines?? did I read that somewhere??)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definitely not.

thats what I originally thought...they do look like two different ram species....so I've heard that a male doesnt have the blue spot on the front black mark...is that true?

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts

bolivian ram....

german blue.

Okay...both are blue rams...but one of them has some serious development issues...

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
can't tell, its really hard, they are both GBR's but seems like they are underfed and under developed, they look so bad, try to feed them some blood worms and brine shrimp and other frozen food or even life food (mosquito larves from outside), and feed them, they are to skinny and even look/are deformed. put them in a tank for themselves until they gain some weight.
They are extremely well fed. Fed everyday a mixture of fish flakes, brine shrimp and cichlid pellets....not sure how they could be underdeveloped

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
can you take a full tank shot, tell me your water parameters/ tank size and all the info we need to know. Or your fish are terrible wrong (from the breeder) or you are doing something very wrong

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.