The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a C. Bullosa plant yesterday from a gracious local club member. We got some rare crypts a while back (around January of this year) and they were all wild collected and in emersed forms. When they arrived to us, most of us submersed our crypts, including this bullosa. Over the past few months, it melted off and grew only one leaf out, which is what I have now. A nice rhizome, one strong leaf and it has a tiny runny going out from the side.

The thing is, C. Bullosa doesn't have much info on the net right now in terms of care and such. When I try searching for it, I get the same results from threads that were a year or two old. I'd like updated info, if anyone has any. Since most of the info recorded in the past was just people crying about how hard it is. :( It's a little intimidating but I hope someone can help me out.

I plan on potting it into just aquasoil (amazonia I) with no other mixtures to it, since it's a blackwater type (I think?). But does anyone have any other recommendations? Should I change it up or what. I really want to get this alive and going because I believe out of the 3-4 people who got this plant in the club, there's only 2 of them left that survived the emersed -> submersed transition. Neither are growing very fast either! :icon_frow

·
Premium Member
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And while we're on the whole "how to plant" topic, anyone know how to plant Lagenandra meeboldii ‘pink’? Can I bury the rhizome, like a crypt? Or do I treat it like an Anubias/Java Fern and not bury it? It is also going Emersed.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
My guess is that you can treat it like most other blackwater species. I use a mix of AS and spaghnum peat for mine, with the pot sitting in about about 1.5" of R/O water. Ghazanfar uses a mix of AS an leaf compost for his, but leaf compost is not easy to find and I'm too lazy to make it myself ;)

·
Registered
414 Posts
There have been reports of C bullosa collected in pH of 5.5 to 6.5 with sandy substrate. Like C keei, C hudorai and C affinis it prefers slight limestone/dolomite addition. C bullosa is considered harder to grow emersed.
Aquasoil with some addition of dolomite would be your best bet.
For L meeboldii 'Pink' plant it like an Anubias without burying it into the substrate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.