The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i had a bucket on my patio keeping some plants for a friend to come pick up. and some little swimmers appeared. so thinking i could get a free meal for my golden wonder killi i threw her in there and went along playing Halo 4.

a bit later i found my kitten batting my killi across the floor!!:icon_evil

i swooped in and snatched up my killi, and put her in my fry grow out tank in the breeder net. dosed her body with H2O2 to kill germs and such, hit her with some prime to help heal, and started praying.

she started swimming vertically and kinda corkscrewing, and i thought "great her swim bladder is gone shes gonna die over night" :mad:

i went to bed prepaired to flush her in the morning. i woke up and ran to check on her. she was swimming normally and was in the process of laying eggs!

sadly i don't have a male golden wonder (he jumped out months ago) but i do have a f. gardneri (steel blue) male. do you think that he could fertilize the eggs?

anyway i'm super happy i didn't lose her! and she is healthy (so far). its a pretty cool story i think.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I would say it is most likely an instinctual behavior to preserve their genetics.

Wow, free bump on this post to say "THANK YOU" for using the correct form of the word "their". You all have no idea how much it makes me grind my teeth that 99.9999% of people on the internet have no idea which word to use there. See I did it too!

By the way has anyone successfully hatched any mail order killi eggs? I've looked several times on other online places and just haven't been comfortable sending my money to who knows where.

Glad to see your killi made it through.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts