The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Aquatilium Plantarum
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever seen an aquarium decoration using a WW II naval mine? I found this image on the net of a virtual one but don't think there are any used in model building or aquarium decorations. I think it would look cool to have one or more of these floating in a tank moored to the bottom.

·
Aquatilium Plantarum
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't remember the name right now, but there were those older aquariums framed in metal.

I think this could look good in one of those.
Yea, I actually have an antique metal framed tank in the nano tanks section. I'd love to have a mine about an inch or two in diameter that looks like an old rusted one with a rusted chain attaching it to the bottom.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I actually thought about making something like what you are referring to. My thought was to cut the little cocktail toothpics that look like swords, down to about 1/2 - 1/4 inch, and super glue them to a ping pong ball. You would have to coat the ping pong ball in some sort of completely waterproof epoxy or silicone, since they are made out of nitrocellulose (a type of HIGHLY flammable paper) Then chain it down with some kind of stainless steel necklace chain?

I have a military and explosive background, so the thought of explosive looking items in my tank sits near and dear to my heart. Once I find a good torpedo model, it's totally going in one of my tanks!

·
Aquatilium Plantarum
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually thought about making something like what you are referring to. My thought was to cut the little cocktail toothpics that look like swords, down to about 1/2 - 1/4 inch, and super glue them to a ping pong ball. You would have to coat the ping pong ball in some sort of completely waterproof epoxy or silicone, since they are made out of nitrocellulose (a type of HIGHLY flammable paper) Then chain it down with some kind of stainless steel necklace chain?

I have a military and explosive background, so the thought of explosive looking items in my tank sits near and dear to my heart. Once I find a good torpedo model, it's totally going in one of my tanks!
Let me know if you make any of these and want to sell or trade for them.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
How about making them out of small styrofoam balls from craft stores, and coating them with Drylok in rust colors? I'm doing some DIY rock backgrounds right now, I and I bet it would look good! You could even use real chain for the detail, and coat it with the Drylok to protect the tank's inhabitants...the styro would float, and sway in the current! Anchor it to a weighted block...lol (Drylok coated dowel rods for the prongy things)

·
Aquatilium Plantarum
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How about making them out of small styrofoam balls from craft stores, and coating them with Drylok in rust colors? I'm doing some DIY rock backgrounds right now, I and I bet it would look good! You could even use real chain for the detail, and coat it with the Drylok to protect the tank's inhabitants...the styro would float, and sway in the current! Anchor it to a weighted block...lol (Drylok coated dowel rods for the prongy things)
That sounds like a great idea

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I'm on it! I can't play with this Drylok stuff enough! lol (I hope it doesn't end up looking like the Hindenburg - although I'd like one of those in my 55 - lol)

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
oh, that is so awesome! Where ever did you get that?
I don't know why, but I've always been fascinated with the Titanic and the Hindenburg - long before anyone thought about making movies of them...one of my favorite books is the official transcripts of the 1912 senate investigation of the sinking of the Titanic.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
As soon as I saw the OP I thought of doing it this way ^

Lol, no just my den, man cave, computer room, or I just call it my room. Here's another shot:

that's pretty f-in awesome! MUMMY!

·
Aquatilium Plantarum
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How's it coming?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.