The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! We are an 8th grade group in http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/961338-methods-classroom.html. Our instructor is @Method. The theme of our tank is, “Nature’s Best.” So far, we have two fish species; Golden Panda Lyretail Mollies (currently removed to a holding tank to breed!) and Gouramis. Our tank contains a variety of plants such as Java Moss, Cryptocoryne, Sagittarius, Vallisneria americana, Rotala, Subwassertang, Water Wisteria, Java Ferns, Anubias, and Ozelot Swords. We also have an abundance of ramshorn and trumpet snails. We have a Penguin 350 filter and a Aquatop 300 Water heater. Our 23 W CFL bulbs are hung 36 inches over our black diamond substrate.

When we started at the beginning of the year, we thought that we learn would learn simply about taking care of fish. However, as soon as the first day was over, we knew that it would be much more than that. By the end of the class, we were mini-marine biologists!

In the future, we plan to add more vibrant-colored plants, such as rotala rotundifolia, fish such as german blue rams, and a waterfall. We thank you for your time and hope you found our introduction inspiring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello!

This is just an update of the fish we currently have. We currently have 5 gouramis and 11 black skirt tetras in our tank! Sadly, our beta died over spring break😢.

Bump: This is a very impressive aquarium!

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
So about that betta...

Nature's Best has a Penguin filter that I'd modded with an aquaclear sponge instead of the usual prefilter intake. I just cut a hole in the sponge and jammed it on. The sponge was pre-seeded with beneficial bacteria and we used it to help cycle the tank. I never took it off...

Our building manager is a dear sweet man. He offered to top off the tanks and feed the fish over spring break so I wouldn't have to come in. I'm guessing that he dumped a bucket of water in and knocked off the sponge. I found the betta (a pretty purple veil tail) in the filter on the Tuesday we returned, completely covered in oomycetes fungi. *Completely* my fault. I should have replaced the original prefilter long ago. It's there now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey! Our tank got a bit sidetracked soooo instead of having a normal aquarium, we are building a riparium!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.