The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to understand how to use Contro aquarium soil in a planted tank. Anyone have experience with that? This is their website: www.controsoil.com . I would have expected their website to tell what are the different ways to use their soil for the best results along with instructions but such info is not available.

I really want to make a Walstad tank but I am in India and dont know what soil to use. Walstad recommended Miracle Grow isnt available here. I dont want to just use soil from the garden as I dont know what it will contain and I cant keep endlessly experimenting until I hit the right soil. Thats why I am thinking of buying contro as it seems like it would stand a better chance than garden soil at me getting a good hit the 1st time. I have read about El Natural systems extensively and I am not saying that contro is a replacement for topsoil - you see what I am saying? Want to use the Walstad principles as much as possible.

I want to avoid CO2 injection and am fine with a slow growth, low tech tank.

1. Can I use contro as the only substrate layer in my planted tank?
2. Can I mix contro with aquarium gravel for my planted tank? Whats the percentage of gravel and contro?
3. Can I mix contro with aquarium sand for my planted tank? Whats the percentage of sand and contro?
4. In 1, 2, 3 above, which is the best recommended method?
5. Does the contro soil need to be exposed to the water in my tank , in other words, does it need to be the topmost layer in my substrate?
6. I hear that contro soil is not "heavy enough" to hold down plants. Do I need to hold them down by tying to something heavy?
7. Can I expect ammonia spikes in the initial weeks after I start a new tank with it? How many weeks shall I give the tank to stand before adding fish?
8. Can contro be used in an already established tank? Can I just gradually add the soil to the gravel & sand thats there in an established tank?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
did you ever find answers to these questions? I'm wondering if i can place controsoil over a layer of seed gravel that my aquarium store gifted me. if so, how thick do you recommend the layers be? thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts