The Planted Tank Forum banner

Natural German Blue Ram tankmates

17389 14
I want to set up a tank for a pair of german blues. I want it to look as natural as possible, maybe even getting plants from the area where they live.
I was wondering what fish naturally occur where the rams do. (i cant spell the name of where the come from, the something basin?)
any names, either common or scientific, would help so much!
if anyone also knows of plants that occur there, that would also be appreciated
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Something small and simple. Dwarf pencilfish, smaller cories (although rams and the like seem to hate cories), green neons, black neons, cardinals, glowlights, and the like for tankmates, although they'd be fine alone and wouldn't stress out as much when they breed. Fine white sand, lots of decaying leaves and wood, fine-leaved plants, and either tannin-stained or clear water.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
sounds like what you want is a biotope setup, which I think is admirable since I could never have the patience to recreate a little slice of nature (unless I had a ton of tanks and just figured what the heck lol)
What size tank are you planning on this to be?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I'd go no lower than a 20 gallon long tank...

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Rummynose have been seen near by rams in the wild. Both go well together. And several different cat fish. If you want biotope think black water. Mud leaf litter and mostly floating plants. Add wood for cover and looks and maybe some really low light plants.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ahhh, i love you guys. I have a 20 long that im going to use after all the fish in it kinda peter out (which hopefully will be a long time, but ive had some disease pop up lately and its stressing me out because IM NOT HOME! im 700 miles away and cant do anything for the poor babies) BUT i will totally do that. Im so psyched about the rummy noses because ive wanted them FOR FOREVER! yay! so ill probably do rummies and neons, because i have them in the tank currently.
Does anyone know what kind of water current is there? ive been itching to try under gravel jets but i dont know if they would be suitable for this kind of tank

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i was just on cichlid-forum and they suggested, for a 20 long, one pair of rams, 6 rummynose tetras, and 4 Blue Emperors (Microgeophagus ramirezi, Hemigrammus bleheri, Inpaichthys kerri)
I googled the blue emperors are cool but the combination of rummies and neons is simply stunning to me, so i was thinking more along the lines of 5 rummynoses and 5 neons, or 5 and 10, my neons always do better in groups of 10. If not all of my neons make it until all the other fish are gone, i was thinking of having a mixed group of green neons and neons, just to keep things interesting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dude, bumping a more than year old thread with something you could have easily asked over pm? :/
Uh, sorry, ThatGuyWithTheFish. I didn't know bumping an old thread is a faux pas. New here. I'll not do it again. Wait. Should this have been a PM also? :redface:

Sorry, I'm long-time member of one other forum -- nothing to do with aquariums -- where nobody gets irked by a bumped old thread. The thread either catches fire again, or it doesn't and quickly falls away again. But, my bad I guess. New forum, new norms. I get it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Uh, sorry, ThatGuyWithTheFish. I didn't know bumping an old thread is a faux pas. New here. I'll not do it again. Wait. Should this have been a PM also? :redface:

Sorry, I'm long-time member of one other forum -- nothing to do with aquariums -- where nobody gets irked by a bumped old thread. The thread either catches fire again, or it doesn't and quickly falls away again. But, my bad I guess. New forum, new norms. I get it.
I don't see what the big deal is about bumping an old thread with pertinent information Or to ask a question. Guess some of these old heads don't like reading a thread twice. Lol bump for the hell of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ohey guys. I always wanted to set up this tank but it never came around. I ended up using all of my available tanks for a turtle and a snake and another little tropical tank... I really wanna still make this tank after college though :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.