The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally convinced my wife to let me pick up another tank, and got it during Petco's $1/gallon sale. I'm letting my wife design the tank, within reason lol.

Fish: 3x Golden panda molly
Substrate: Lane Mt Sand #30
Light: 3x 21" T8
Filtration: Fluval HOB

I will be adding DIY Osmocote+ root tabs that I made. Any advice or suggestions on how to have a successful SAND planted tank are welcome.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moved the Juli cory cats over from my other tank after finding out that cory cats are better suited in sand substrate. They seem MUCH happier. Also, I'm doing some rescaping in my other tank I so moved over some Java Fern and 2x Argentine Swords.

The only ferts I've added so far are my homemade Osmocote Plus root tabs.

·
Registered
425 Posts
not much advise, I've got a sand substrate as well and plants are all healthy.
just stick them in the sand and add a root tab if you want, but I've seen lots of people grow plants in sand without any root-tabs

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
I am not convinced mollies and cories are a good combo.
Mollies like harder water (not necessarily saltier), they will do better with a large crust of barnacle shells or sea shells in the water.
Corydoras come from sweeter water in general.

I like your tank though, if it was scaled up it would be an awesome discus tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.