The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so there's 10 types of fissidens and 7 types of fontinalis native to NJ wow, I found a list of all the native mosses here, theres 383 types in NJ

http://phobos.ramapo.edu/~ekarlin/research/mosses.html

I found some rare looking mosses today while hiking in Northern NJ,

Pic 1 -I think it's a type of fissidens, can anyone ID it?
Pic 2 - most of the mosses look like this one, the first one caught my eye

I brought 3 types back and I'm growing them out immersed, and some submersed to see what happens

last summer I found some micranthemum micranthemoides on a sand/mud bar in a stream, didn't take any because supposedly it's endangered and i already had a bunch, I'm on the look out for some fissidens and maybe finding some new plants for the hobby

Attachments

·
Banned
4,901 Posts
Can't ID it but it looks cool!

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update

Pic 1, some new moss I found, it looks really nice

Pic 2, the moss I found last week in an immersed set up, it's doing well

Pic 3, I put the moss i found last week and this week into this moss tank, i would get a close up but i lost where the pieces are I will add more

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here's 2 pics showing the moss I think is in the Fissidens family after about 2 weeks of growth in an immersed set up.

it is growing, it's gotten a lot more stringy on the new growth I'm not sure if this is how it grows or if the new growth is more stringy looking because its in a different environment, maybe because it gets much more light now than it did sitting in the shade in the forest where I found it. I'm separating it out and putting some in lower light and some in a submersed set up. I will update in about 2 weeks.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts