The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to ID native minnows to Mississippi? I started catching minnows for a 20 gallon high and I’ve gotten 4 I liked so far. 3 are a yellow/white color the 4th has a dark line down it’s side and just all around looks different than the others. I’ve looked online but can only find info on game fish and the Mississippi silvery minnows. It’s probably pointless it I kinda wanna know what they are. Either way it’s fun and they make for an interesting tank knowing I sourced them locally. They sure do love frozen blood worms.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Anyone know how to ID native minnows to Mississippi? I started catching minnows for a 20 gallon high and I’ve gotten 4 I liked so far. 3 are a yellow/white color the 4th has a dark line down it’s side and just all around looks different than the others. I’ve looked online but can only find info on game fish and the Mississippi silvery minnows. It’s probably pointless it I kinda wanna know what they are. Either way it’s fun and they make for an interesting tank knowing I sourced them locally. They sure do love frozen blood worms.
It can be hard to find non-game species online, especially if you don't have people in your state super into collecting/keeping them. You can check out nanfa for a forum where folks can help you figure out how to identify, and keep native species. Be aware they won't be able to help you without pictures.

NANFA Forum

Other potential sources of information are the inature website/app that allows people to record siting's of animals and to request identification.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn’t see any laws against keeping minnows in an aquarium. Also it’s legal to catch them with a dip net or trap so I should be good unless you know of some other laws that mention it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.