The Planted Tank Forum banner

41 - 60 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a 1 Gallon Betta Bowl at the Office.
The office temperature is kept a constant 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

Does this thread mean that each of these fish listed, I could keep in this Bowl 'instead' of the Betta?

Or to put it another way;
if I were to create another Bowl at the Office (1-2.5 gallons), I could use 1 of ANY of these fish?

·
Registered
820 Posts
No , most of these fish require at least a 5 gallon, or a 2g to themselves, but some you can put in bowls. A 5g tank realy isn't much bigger than a betta bowl. And not to expensive either. Also, I used to have a betta vase, but I could barely see anything but a blur in the rounded glass.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Also, most fish require something the Betta doesnt- airation. Bettas and a few other fish, like goldfish, have a gland (Larynth gland I believe) that allows them to take air from the surface instead of through the water, so filtration and circulation would be required over a Betta. HTH.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Coming back to this fascinating project...;) In the article I have been using for some help (Markku Varjo 2005: Kalojen kääpiösarjalaiset)... there're still these left:

Flame Tetra (Hyphessobrycon flammeus)
Black Neon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi)
Black Phantom Tetra (Hyphessobrycon megalopterus)
Red-Tailed Phantom Tetra (Hyphessobrycon roseus)
(Hyphessobrycon eques)

Marbled Hatchetfish (Carnegiella strigata strigata)
Carnegiella strigata fasciata
Black-winged Hatchetfish (Carnegiella marthae)
Pygmy Hatchetfish (Carnegiella myersi)

False Cory (Aspidoras pauciradiatus)

Hara jerdoni
Shadow Catfish (Hyalobagrus flavus, ex. Pelteobagrus ornatus)

:D
Hatchetfish should never be put in a nano. In the Amazon, they literally fly out of the water. Fishbase.org quote regarding Carnegiella strigata strigata: "Aquarium keeping: in groups of 5 or more individuals; may jump out of the aquarium; minimum aquarium size 80 cm".

·
Registered
459 Posts
Also, most fish require something the Betta doesnt- airation. Bettas and a few other fish, like goldfish, have a gland (Larynth gland I believe) that allows them to take air from the surface instead of through the water, so filtration and circulation would be required over a Betta. HTH.
Not true.

Bettas and other labyrinth fish, have an organ called the labyrinth that allows them to breathe atmospheric air, goldfish do NOT have the labyrinth organ. Goldfish should not be kept it bowls. It's already illegal to do so in Rome.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Has anyone mentioned darters yet? There are some beautiful rainbow and greenside darters which are native to my state, but unfortunately they are also jumpers. Darters appreciate a decent amount of flow too.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I dig darters! I wanted to get a couple of the Orange ones a while back but because they're riffle-dwellers (they like fast moving currents) didn't think that'd work w/ the other inhabitants of my current main tank.

·
Registered
84 Posts
No , most of these fish require at least a 5 gallon, or a 2g to themselves, but some you can put in bowls. A 5g tank realy isn't much bigger than a betta bowl.
Oh. That is a shame. :icon_frow

Not true.

Bettas and other labyrinth fish, have an organ called the labyrinth that allows them to breathe atmospheric air, goldfish do NOT have the labyrinth organ. Goldfish should not be kept it bowls. It's already illegal to do so in Rome
What????

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Those Parosphromeni look pretty cool! Thanks Seikah.

Also, to all of you good folks that I promised a revised version of this list - are there any takers for a co-editing job? It's a fairly big task to sort these by tank size, water type (pH, temp., etc), minimum number, etc...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Which fish are compatable with tanks with Cherry Red Shrimp that I want to be breeding.

Endlers, although they're prolific as heck. Actually there are a few species that should be fine - here's a hint: look for species with small mouths that physically can't eat the baby shrimp. Rocket Killis, for instance...

·
Registered
84 Posts
This list is cool.

Is there anywhere on the web that has something like this that also has links to what they look like?

Thank you for the work compiling the list. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thanks for this list, good thing to have around.

-Cassie

41 - 60 of 171 Posts