The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been searching for a Nano Tank siphon for my new Fluval Spec III. I found a old ducussion on here from 2013 that had a lo t of DIY suggestions and turkey baster.
Was looking on amazon and wonderded if things had changed and what other people were useing to change water and clean top substrate in nanos.
Was cocerned about the flow rate on some of the siphons ied seen.
Either way i need to either make something or order something as my tank is due for water change and cleaning.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Ive been searching for a Nano Tank siphon for my new Fluval Spec III. I found a old ducussion on here from 2013 that had a lo t of DIY suggestions and turkey baster.
Was looking on amazon and wonderded if things had changed and what other people were useing to change water and clean top substrate in nanos.
Was cocerned about the flow rate on some of the siphons ied seen.
Either way i need to either make something or order something as my tank is due for water change and cleaning.
Just buy a regular small sized gravel vac or if you prefer, just a piece of rubber tubing. You can get it more complicated then that but its not needed.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I use airline tubing and a turkey baster to shoot water at the substrate and kick up surface debris for removal.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I use airline tubing and a turkey baster to shoot water at the substrate and kick up surface debris for removal.
I don't use airline tubing. I grabbed the smallest gravel vac I could buy at petsupplies plus. I took the bigger vac out and zipped tied a turkey baster at the end of the tubing.

@Gilly13 Pretty much anything that's been suggested here will work. But I definitely second the turkey baster.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I just use a piece of tubing from an old gravel vac on all my tanks 16g and smaller. I have a baster somewhere in a pile I can use if necessary. I don't need it very often.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats not a bad idea. Petsupplies plus is one of my LFS and i looked at theirs but thought it was too large looking. Didnt think about putting a turkey baster on the end.
Was looking at this siphon https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08L88GS6X/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A14CIHE0YP9ZU0&psc=1
But wasnt sure if i wated to spend 16 on it when the Eheim Jager 25watt heater just came back in stock on amazon and is $31 which is insane why the 25watt would coat $11 more then the 50watt that is only $19.
Thanks for the idea

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Thats not a bad idea. Petsupplies plus is one of my LFS and i looked at theirs but thought it was too large looking. Didnt think about putting a turkey baster on the end.
Was looking at this siphon https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08L88GS6X/ref=ox_sc_act_image_2?smid=A14CIHE0YP9ZU0&psc=1
But wasnt sure if i wated to spend 16 on it when the Eheim Jager 25watt heater just came back in stock on amazon and is $31 which is insane why the 25watt would coat $11 more then the 50watt that is only $19.
Thanks for the idea
This is where I got the idea from.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Wow, that's brilliant! I feel really stupid for not trying this already...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ii
This is where I got the idea from.
That is genius!!! Exactly what im looking for thanks so much.
How coveniant that i have to go make a grocery run lol. Looks like ill be making a pit stop for a turkey baster.
Will save me $16 too.
Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
The flow rate through a hose is to the fourth power increase when you double the diameter. This means a hose with a diameter of 2 compared to a diameter of 1 would have 16x the flow. This matters when your only looking at hoses that are meant to drain 40-gallon tanks in minutes. The opposite issue is that if the diameter is too small, the flow will not be high enough to draw up debris at all. There are plenty of sizes available at hardware stores to choose from beyond aquarium hoses and air lines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts