The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I would like some help with my first nano tank. I'm going to ask newbie questions so be patient. I just got a 2.7 gal. Tank and am looking to fill it. I would like it to be planted, so what "gravel" should I use for the bottom. What plants are best. What fish could I put in it. What light should I use and lastly, heater or no heater (if so which one). Thank you everyone. :)

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Some of the answers depend on what you want to do with your nano tank.

My overall recommendation is to keep it simple.
You might want to check out this thread http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...mini-nano-pico-planted-tanks-50-examples.html for pictures and ideas.

In general:

- Yes, CO2 is for plants and I would stay away from it, given the size of your tank.
- Use any "gravel" (substrate) you like. If you have an existing tank, use some substrate from it. Otherwise, anything from sand, to pebbles, to lava rock, to specialized aquarium substrate will work.
- Plants, whatever you have handy. Moss, Java Fern, Blyxa Japonica, Rotalas, mini Pennyworth, Ricca, and a lot more. Do consider using floating plants like Frog Bit, Water Lettice and such. Stay away from duck weed.
- I would go without heater, especially if your room temperature stays above 64F or so.
- I would avoid putting any fish in a tank that small. Go with shrimp and / or snails. If you must have fish, check out Endlers and guppies.

Trial and error are the best teachers.

If you are serious about having your nano tank healthy and running for years with little maintenance invest your time in reading the forums and learning as much as you can. Above all, enjoy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow thanks for all that, I definitely am going to continue research. Do you think I could put a nice betta and some cool shrimp in it or would something like a salt and pepper or Pygmy Cory work in my tank. I'm not dead set on fish...just curious thank you for everything :D

·
Registered
649 Posts
A clip on LED will be fine for a low-tech tank such as this. With a tank this small, I hate to break it to you, but it is not suitable for any fish. Pygmy cories actually require a 20 gallon tank. The reason for this is that they are a schooling fish, so only one fish will be stressed and end up dying prematurely. This tank is too small for a beta as well. Betas require 5 gallons. I would make this a shrimp only tank. Maybe add a nerite snail, but that's about it. If you like shrimp and you like plants, you could use this tank to grow out plants and shrimp for a larger tank. I hope this helps. Asking people here is a great start. Always do your research before adding anything, and good luck to you.

Bump: A clip on LED will be fine for a low-tech tank such as this. With a tank this small, I hate to break it to you, but it is not suitable for any fish. Pygmy cories actually require a 20 gallon tank. The reason for this is that they are a schooling fish, so only one fish will be stressed and end up dying prematurely. This tank is too small for a beta as well. Betas require 5 gallons. I would make this a shrimp only tank. Maybe add a nerite snail, but that's about it. If you like shrimp and you like plants, you could use this tank to grow out plants and shrimp for a larger tank. I hope this helps. Asking people here is a great start. Always do your research before adding anything, and good luck to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.