The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a nano tank set up in my cubicle. I'm just getting back into the hobby of owning bettas so I'm a bit rusty and I need help and advice on how to get this started.

We currently have one betta in a 2.5 gal at home for my 3 yr old and I've been doing weekly 50% water changes. Is that adequate or should I bump it up to do a full 100% weekly water change? It has a filter, but I doubt it's cycled, since we barely got this two weeks ago. There aren't any live plants in that one.

Going back to the tank for work, I was looking into the Fluval spec 2. If I go that route, is it best to get it cycled with only plants first before I add a betta? I don't even remember how to get a tank cycled. I feel like such a newbie again. I have more questions, but I'll start with these first.

Any advice or help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Once a week 50% changes is fine. Depends how often you feed it but 50 is good. Never 100%. Just add the new water in slowly and make sure it is the same temperature, or a little bit colder is better than warmer.

There are all kinds of ways to get a tank cycled. I cycle mine by just letting it run without fish for a month. It takes a bunch of patience but this whole hobby is all about that. Put the plants in anytime. I'm sure others will share alternative methods to cycling.

My advice: Do all the hw and research as you can before pulling any triggers. Also don't go buy cheap/temporary stuff. You'll end up upgrading it anyway and spend more money like I have haha.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.