The Planted Tank Forum banner

Nano Tank Co2 Upgrade Suggestion

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Gilly13 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a Fluval Spec III nano betta tank, that i am considering upgrading from liquid carbon to a more effective co2 setup. I've dipped in and out of the hobby multipal times and am currently back after almost 4 years away from the hobby.
Ive talked to people at my LFS and been reading about Co2 in general and am still fairly sketchy on everything.

My LFS however recommended the Fluval Mini CO2 Kit. It being manual makes me doubt it fit for my because of my inconsastant schedual, and i have not fully looked into reviews of the product.
So would a semi-automatic work better? Something that could be hooked up to a timer so i wouldnt have to worry about being home at a exact time to manually shut off the co2.

Thr reason im considering a upgrade is because im having inconsistant plant growth on the right vs left side of the tank.
This leads me to believe that i have some missbalacne between my lights+co2+ferts.

Current Tank Specs
Micros- 1/64 mon thurs
KNO3- 1/16 tues fri
KH2PO4- 1/64 tues fri
Enhance liquid carbon .3ml at arounf 8:30 am every morning.
Lights on a kasa timer. On at 9am off at 1pm on at 3pm off at 7:30 pm.
50%water changes on sunday.
Now according to a PAR reading posted on here about the updraged fluval light its around ~60-70 PAR at substrate.
I was also considering changing out the fluval stock light for a Chihiros light that would allow me to use the Way2top Aquarioum light dimmer/timer, so i could have ambiant light on in tgs tank before it slowimg ramps up to full poaer for 8 hours before ramping down.
So to sum up my questions after that massive long rambling post.
  • Is Fluval Co2 setup a option
  • Would a semi-automaticbe better?
  • Sould i go with a kit or buy each part seperatly
  • Should i swap out the Fluval stock light in order to use the Way2top dimmer.
  • Why am i having plants not grow on thd left side of the tank

Hope i gave enough info and apologize for asking a questions that is im sure are annoying for experts in the hobby.

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, a paintball was next on my list after i decided the fluval thing wont work for me. I am planning on visiting a friends who has a Spec V with a paintball setup. Their over a two drive from me so ice been putting it off, but i think seeing one in person will help to take away some of the intimidation factor out of it.

I am currently using the UNS Mini CO2 setup with a paintball canister on my Spec V. It works very well and it looks like they have upgraded it since I got mine like 3 or 4 years ago. The only complaint I have is that it is a bit hard to control due to the needle valve not being the best but with a little fidgeting it works great.
Ill look that up. As of right now i was planning on purchasing all the parts seperatly. Been looking on Co2Art and Co2SuperMarket.

#3 ·
I am currently using the UNS Mini CO2 setup with a paintball canister on my Spec V. It works very well and it looks like they have upgraded it since I got mine like 3 or 4 years ago. The only complaint I have is that it is a bit hard to control due to the needle valve not being the best but with a little fidgeting it works great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.