The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering the Finnex 4 gal. I like the look of the 13w 7100K light they offer. I was think low light plants and a Betta. Something for the MAC desk.

I could buy just the aquarium if there are other/better options? I haven't found anything much better. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
i too was looking for some nano lighting on my 5.5G standard tank.. i currently have cheap work light fixtures from home depot and am starting to dislike the look of it on my tank.

i've found that cataline aquariums seems to make decent looking lights after some research.. or someone recently suggested this one to me - for the price it seems like it can't be beat!
http://www.aquatraders.com/14-inch-1x24W-Power-Compact-Light-Fixture-p/51106.htm

good luck

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought my Finnex....The plants grow well under that light, I am only growing mosses, anubias, crypts and rotala.
I happy to read that as I just bought the same Set. :icon_smil

I'm going Low tech....dirt floor/sand cap. I've got a tub of E. Belem that's been growing outside for a month. I'm coming to the conclusion it probably won't do much in my 40B Low tech. I'm wondering if in the low water depth of the Finnex it might grow with one light?

I've ben nurturing those little plants so long...I just hate to just sell them off.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i too was looking for some nano lighting on my 5.5G standard tank.. i currently have cheap work light fixtures from home depot and am starting to dislike the look of it on my tank.

i've found that cataline aquariums seems to make decent looking lights after some research.. or someone recently suggested this one to me - for the price it seems like it can't be beat!
http://www.aquatraders.com/14-inch-1x24W-Power-Compact-Light-Fixture-p/51106.htm

good luck
I'm very interested in that Catalina fixture for my 5gal. I'm currently running into some issues with the light hitting all corners of the tank using a CFL in the stock hood.

Anyone have any experience with Catalina fixtures?

·
Registered
585 Posts
The stock Finnex 4g light should be fine for a low light, slow growing setup. It will probably grow E. Belem just fine if it is provided the right nutrients.

If you ever decide to go higher light, check out the Archaea light fixtures. The 27 watt one is great for the finnex tanks. It's what I've been using on mine for the last year and a half.

Archaea Light Fixtures

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Elda I'm not sure if your comments are directed to the OP.

But, for my 1.5G, its a little tank I picked up at the swap meet - its not a nicely finished, professional nano. :p
I dont remember lol....
Have you tried one of those small clip on lights alot of people here use?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.