The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think this is small enough to be nano? ;)

Click on thumbnails to enlarge.​

I set up this little bowl a few weeks ago. I took it home from work so it wouldn't be sold to someone as a betta bowl. :mad:

The plant is one of those so-called 'dwarf swords' which is a tissue cultured green horemani, E. uryguayensis - one of the biggest swords around. The substrate is fine gravel with a root tab ground up in the bottom, quarter tabs will be added over time.

The water volume is about half a litre, this is replaced weekly with water from one of my other tanks after it has had a change and ferts added. The bowl sits on the back of the bridge of my 300l 4' tank where it benefits from a 150w metal halide. I wonder how many Watts per gallon that would be? :D

The occupants are a pair of glass shrimp, Paratya australiensis and a couple of black worms. It is tempting to add a juvenile Dwarf Flat-head Gudgeon, but it the daily temp fluctuation would not be the best for it. The shrimp are more manageable for a something this size, and I won't be too upset if they jump out and end up as butterfly fish food :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
:thumbsup: Thats really nice looking! Your photo technique is great as well; the background really fits in well. The simple sphere of the bowl really draws in the eye.

One thought i had while looking at it was how nice some cherries would look in there to give it a little red pop. But it looks really good as is. Great job.

·
Registered
41 Posts
looks great Andrew, your sword looks really healthy and lush :) did you put a male and female Paratya australiensis in? looking forward to seeing some growth, especially possibly a flower spike.

One thought i had while looking at it was how nice some cherries would look in there to give it a little red pop
unfortunately we dont have cherry shrimp in australia as yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the kind words, I am happy to share it with you :)

I'm not sure how long it will last until the plant outgrows the bowl. These swords don't usually send out emersed leaves or flower spikes, at least not to my knowledge, and being grown from tissue culture I am unsure what its growth will be like. So far it seems happy enough to let its leaves curl around the bowl, and as long as it does that I will keep it going. Eventually the crown will get too close to the surface.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.