The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to set up a small (2.5 or 5.5 gallon) planted ghost shrimp aquarium, and breed them for fun (and I'll feed off extras to my fish). But I'd like some advice on things :)

- what substrate is best, keeping in mind shrimp comfort and ease of access (to get the babies out)? I'm thinking sand. Or maybe no substrate at all?

- is a DIY sponge filter (with the fish food container, air stone, and sponge and gravel) too strong for baby shrimp? Or if I plant it enough, will I need a filter (thinking of walstad method I guess)? How will I cycle it without a filter, would the plants cycle it?

- how many ghost shrimp could live in a 2.5g? Or a 5.5g?

- any tips on breeding ghost shrimp? I've read up quite a bit but any help is still welcome!

Thanks, and merry christmas!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Shrimp like substrates they can sift through, so a loose gravel and sand combination is best. Since you are using a small tank, the extra surface area of the gravel will also house bacteria for your nitrogen cycle.

I say go with a black or brown color to accent the shrimp.

If you go with a 5, use a small sponge filter, they are so cheap you would just waste time building a sponge filter. I personally only use these.

I don't use filters for my 2g isolated breeding tanks, their circulation is way too strong. If you do use a small tank, go with the Walstad method.

Cycling is just growing bacteria that process ammonia and nitrates and turn them into nitrites, that occurs naturally in filter media and any areas in the tank where bacteria can crawl into a niche and grow. Usually takes 3-4 weeks, but you can speed it up with ammonia or other quick-start products.

You definitely want to cycle the tank before you put in ANY shrimp, otherwise they'll all die slowly.

Ghost shrimp are kind of territorial compared to other shrimp, so keeping a huge number in a 2.5 might not be a good idea. They will fight each other to the death, eat each other, and eat their babies.

10 per gallon is a good number, not too crowded but still densely populated.

·
Super Moderator
16,952 Posts
Sand is fine for Cherry Shrimp. They'll breed like crazy in most tap water.

Though, I don't think you'll want to feed your extras to your fish. You'll likely get attached to them and turn into a shrimp addict like the rest of us.

Check out the sticky in the Shrimp sub-forum. You'll find all kinds of information there to get you started.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah i see!

are there any fish that won't eat RCS, and will live happily in a 10g? I have a 10 gallon I am cycling and have live plants in and considering stock right now. I didn't want to put ghost shrimp in it because I don't find them very attractive. But it's different story between me and RCS :) they are beautiful! Maybe I'll even just make it a shrimp only tank...

·
Super Moderator
16,952 Posts
If it will fit in the mouth of a fish, it will get eaten. The only 100% exception = Otos.

I encourage you to do a as much reading about shrimp as humanly possible before dipping your toe in the crustacean water. Cycle your tank for a month before adding livestock, plant it well and you'll have tons of success.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Have to disagree a bit on the ghost shrimp---10 per gallon is way high given their mature size.

A gallon vessel, well planted, will typically hold 2-3 ghost at most--even then it's common to end up with one that will chase the others right out of the tank. Bigger tanks, more plants, plenty of hard scape can help up those numbers, but high populations equal high stress and short lives.

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Ah i see!

are there any fish that won't eat RCS, and will live happily in a 10g? I have a 10 gallon I am cycling and have live plants in and considering stock right now. I didn't want to put ghost shrimp in it because I don't find them very attractive. But it's different story between me and RCS :) they are beautiful! Maybe I'll even just make it a shrimp only tank...
You can try some chili rasboras or some ember tetras to go along with RCS. They wont eat full grown cherry shrimp, BUT they will eat most, if not all of the babies. So if you have no desire for babies, then you can add the RCS, but otherwise its not really worth it to try to start a colony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.