The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, This is my little dwarf puffer paradise i made for my lil puffer named Kirby.

this tank has been setup for two weeks, so far everything is going great. This is my very first planted aquarium, i also have a 50 gal saltwater reef tank.

I will update often to show the progress.

the inhabitants are as follows:

Kirby(dwarf puffer)
and a nameless oto

I have a bunch of plants which i dont know the names exept for the HC,but everything grew alot.

here is a little more info about the tank

Specs:

3 gal rimless tank
DIY lightning (2x13w spirals(blue) and 1x 23w spiral)
DIY Co2 and diffuser
DIY canopy/stand
50w heater
aquaclear 50(200)

Any comments are welcomed and or advice:smile:

They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Why did you make a hood in a rimless tank!?!? O well :-D. Great tank, but it looks a little too busy. No focal point. Those two plants in the middle left seem too big for the tank also. They remind me of rotala rotundifolia... just 3x bigger lol.

And whatever plant you have in the foreground (I think its glosso), I think you should plant it more uniformly so it grows uniformly otherwise it'll grow into a bigger entangled mess.

But that must be one happy puffer :-D.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank for for the complements,

the foreground plant is HC, i have so much of it that i am not able to plant it in small patches so I had to sorta ''stuff'' it there. It may be why it looks messy, im going to let it grow like that and see if the roots dig in the substrate...

or should i remove about 50% of it and plant it well?
any good tips on planting is appreciated.

Leaping Gnome, the oto has been in th tank for about one week and is doing great so and he has gotten fatter:icon_surp

update soon to come stay tuned!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Leaping Gnome, the oto has been in th tank for about one week and is doing great so and he has gotten fatter
Heh, didn't mean to imply you'd lose him as in unhealthy and dying, I meant lose him as in he'll be hidden in all the lush plants you have and you'll rarely see him! :)

I like how you labeled the bottle "CO2", like otherwise someone would pick it up and take a swig. :D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a little question, do plants absorb ammonia, nitrates etc?

(I am still a newbie in FW planted tanks...:tongue: )
Could i also get some ID on the plants other than the HC?

Also, is it a good sign that new plant leaves are redish/orange/pink (not yellowing or anything)?, because the middle left plants with the big leaves have developed that color.

thanks.:icon_wink

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
...I have a little question, do plants absorb ammonia, nitrates etc?...
As I understand it:
"...Ammonia is the easiest of the nitrogen compounds for plants to consume. Therefore it is the first form of nitrogen they will uptake when they are growing well. With this in mind, setting up a tank and filling it with healthy fast growing plants will provide a means for almost all ammonia to be consumed. If the ammonia is consumed by the plants then it will not build to toxic levels, and nitrite in turn will not be produced at toxic levels by ammonia eating bacteria.

The trace (unreadable levels) of ammonia that escape the plants will still allow the bacteria to establish in low levels, but essentially the plants are the bio-filter, and the bacteria colony remains very, very small..."

source: http://www.aquariumboard.com/forums/articles/26.htm

With respect to Nitrates:

"Nitrate is a plant food. So if you have a whole bunch of plants, they will keep nitrate levels very low"

Source: http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/plants/plant_advice.htm

Regards.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Couple years later Update!

Hi people! Ive just got back into aquariums and found this old thread i had made when I was like 16 years old. This tank got taken down years ago because I did not have a job and had very limited budget.

I cant beleive how bad that HC looked in there lol..

God damn the tank looked bad and ghetto! also very low tech

I have since Started up another aquarium with the right equipment and appropriate budget you can check it out here:
www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=850962

·
Registered
62 Posts
I read the old post and looked at your tanks, old and new. I'm your age, stated aquariums when I was around 13, planted tanks when I was around 16, and just now getting back into the hobby again myself. A lot in common. I think it's neat to see how you progress over time. It's funny to look back on an aquarium you took so much pride in only to start giving yourself a hard time! I think it would be cool for other 'scapers to post some of their first tanks vs their tanks now. Haha, who knows, it may give me some hope!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I read the old post and looked at your tanks, old and new. I'm your age, stated aquariums when I was around 13, planted tanks when I was around 16, and just now getting back into the hobby again myself. A lot in common. I think it's neat to see how you progress over time. It's funny to look back on an aquarium you took so much pride in only to start giving yourself a hard time!
Hehe You are spot on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.