The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20G Low-Tech, 10G Iwagumi, 7G Betta Biotope, 4G Snail/Daphnia Tank
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12" cube (7.5G) opening up shortly and I was thinking of doing a native biotope with:

• 3 Least Killifish
  • 6 Eastern Glass Shrimp
  • 2 Ramshorn Snails

I'm wondering if the tank will get out of control once these guys start reproducing.

What do you think?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
All livebearers have the potential to overpopulate but in my experiences with least killifish they aren't nearly as prolific as guppies and endlers. I'd suggest flag fish but they'd kill the shrimp. Good luck!!

·
Super Moderator
17,131 Posts
In a 7.5gal tank, you'd be able to house about a million Heterandria formosa without noticing them. I've found that larger Neo shrimp, which will be smaller than what you plan to keep, can also be a little aggressive toward H. formosa on occasion. Nothing too serious but it's enough that I'm always careful when keeping them with shrimp at first. I've had Amanos attack and eat them when they're mid-sized.

What kind of substrate, hardscape and plants are you planning? The more hidey holes the better. This is a terrific idea for a tank.

H. formosa are severely underrated fish but have been becoming one of my favorites the past couple years. One of the few fish that I don't hesitate to keep in smaller tanks. While they will develop quite a population in your tank, it won't be too insane like with Endlers or Guppies. But I do recommend having extra space for them in something like a planted vase, tub or small aquarium. Because you're going to fall in love with them and will want more.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

What kind of substrate, hardscape and plants are you planning? The more hidey holes the better. This is a terrific idea for a tank.
The hardscape is set, give or take a couple branches and more leaf litter. I plan to fill the left side with Mayaca fluviatilis (already partially planted) and Didiplis diandra and fill in the left side with something shorter, but I don't know what yet. There will be a couple Lobelia cardalis in the foreground. I plan to let the tank fill in before adding livestock.

·
Super Moderator
17,131 Posts
That's gonna be really nice once it fills in. It's awesome already - and I'm not just saying that to be kind. Your idea of loose branches is a good one for the critters you have in mind. Maybe you'll be able to find something that's got a couple branches on the same piece that'll afford a slight bit of height. Leaving them exposed like that is goooood.

Given any thought to mosses? If you look hard enough (like at every retailer on the internet - ha), you'll be able to some that have larger fronds/leaves that will look almost native.

Something else you may want to consider are Cryptocoryne. There are some - like brown/bronze - that look straight-up like they've been plucked from the banks of the Mississippi where it meets the Ohio in far western Kentucky. Even some of the grassier-looking Crypts would be awesome.

Since you're going for the biotope look, may also want to consider duckweed - especially larger varieties. A lot of people hate it but it's fine if you keep it in check and thin it out when needed. Ends up being helpful for both shrimp and teeny tiny fish.

Hope you'll also consider starting a tank journal so we can follow along as things progress. Because setups like this are awesome and almost no one puts in the effort you've already put in to make something look nice.

P.S. Is that Flourite? I kinda love it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's gonna be really nice once it fills in.
I appreciate the compliment. I haven't made a journal, but you're right, I should. Look out for that.

That is Flourite Dark. I'm also using it for a Borneo wild betta biotope, which really blends with thick leaf litter. I have more branches incoming, so I'll lookout with something with height.

I want to stick to native plants, but I'd love suggestions for aquatic mosses and crypt-like broad leaf plants. I'm also going to add Azolla caroliniana and duckweed floaters.

·
Registered
600 Posts
View attachment 1031610

The hardscape is set, give or take a couple branches and more leaf litter. I plan to fill the left side with Mayaca fluviatilis (already partially planted) and Didiplis diandra and fill in the left side with something shorter, but I don't know what yet. There will be a couple Lobelia cardalis in the foreground. I plan to let the tank fill in before adding livestock.
What substrate is that? It looks great!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.