The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heyo, I was going to upgrade my aqueon led planted light to something with full spectrum. I was looking at the finnex stingray led light. I was wondering if the original or the model 2 would be better for me. I'm wondering that because I have no co2 so higher light would be an imbalance. Also is this the best option? Are there any other low light full spectrum led lights that are better?

Thank you!

·
Registered
629 Posts
You didn't mention for what size tank?

I run the Fugeray planted+ on a 5 gal and a 3 gal with admittedly biased good results. :)

But it's half the power than your existing and the Stingray. Stingray 2 is double that. If you are worried about algae I would stay away from the 2.

Pictured is my 3gal bowl. May not be enough if your "nano" is a 10 gallon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
For my 5.5g I've had mixed results with the 16" stingray. I had issues with algae unless I dosed with excel, but then I ran an airstone and water somehow got in under the guard and blew out 3-4 of the LEDs on one end. I then propped up the bad end on my filter so the whole thing is slightly higher and at an angle. Since then I've stopped dosing excel and still had less of a problem with algae, though I do also have a better fert regimen, more stem plants, and lower bioload.

I would recommend the stingray if you're willing to dose excel or raise it higher than the stock legs.

·
Registered
126 Posts
For my 5.5g I've had mixed results with the 16" stingray. I had issues with algae unless I dosed with excel, but then I ran an airstone and water somehow got in under the guard and blew out 3-4 of the LEDs on one end. I then propped up the bad end on my filter so the whole thing is slightly higher and at an angle. Since then I've had less of a problem with algae, though I do also have a better fert regimen, more stem plants, and lower bioload.

I would recommend the stingray if you're willing to dose excel or raise it higher than the stock legs.
Are you referring to the first or second gen of the Stingray?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I run the Fugeray planted+ on a 5 gal and a 3 gal with admittedly biased good results. :)

But it's half the power than your existing and the Stingray. Stingray 2 is double that. If you are worried about algae I would stay away from the 2.

Im sorry its a 7 gallon cube

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For my 5.5g I've had mixed results with the 16" stingray. I had issues with algae unless I dosed with excel, but then I ran an airstone and water somehow got in under the guard and blew out 3-4 of the LEDs on one end. I then propped up the bad end on my filter so the whole thing is slightly higher and at an angle. Since then I've stopped dosing excel and still had less of a problem with algae, though I do also have a better fert regimen, more stem plants, and lower bioload.

Ok thank you I think im not using them then

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First gen.

ETA: You can also add some fiberglass window screen under the light to reduce its intensity.
First gen

So the light you said would be good is the fugeray? Im upgrading my light since its not full spectrum and I need that so my plants can use all thefertilizers without leaving it behind for the algae. https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-FugeR...ocphy=9061200&hvtargid=pla-315830974221&psc=1 this is it right?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Im upgrading my light since its not full spectrum and I need that so my plants can use all thefertilizers without leaving it behind for the algae.
What's to say the algae won't use it first and leave nothing behind for the plants?
Which part of the spectrum is your current light missing?
I think you're chasing a marketing term with a "full spectrum" light.
Most all of the name brand aquarium plant lights have a sufficient spectrum to grow the majority of plants. Look for one with a high CRI that's pleasing to your eye. There are grow lights available (typically not for aquariums) that will grow plants great but are horrible for viewing looking pink or purple.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I agree with @Kubla, you might be over thinking this a tad?

Now if you are going after better colors than I totally agree but as far as the plants are concerned it doesn't matter, as much.

Here is another 3gal betta bowl I have had setup with a cheap Ikea desktop led lamp for the past 2 years. About the same wattage as the Fugeray. Definitely not considered full spectrum as far as the industry is concerned. Grows plants fine (no ferts added, water changes roughly every 4 weeks). I have to harvest the hornwort regularly, but that's not a hard plant to grow, lol! Color is not as good, to my eye, as the Fugeray, though.

And yes, the light you linked to is the one that I have. No idea on par values but it is considered full spectrum. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What's to say the algae won't use it first and leave nothing behind for the plants?
Which part of the spectrum is your current light missing?
I think you're chasing a marketing term with a "full spectrum" light.
Most all of the name brand aquarium plant lights have a sufficient spectrum to grow the majority of plants. Look for one with a high CRI that's pleasing to your eye. There are grow lights available (typically not for aquariums) that will grow plants great but are horrible for viewing looking pink or purple.
Im missing red light. So which should I use? Im just looking for a low par full spectrum light

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.