The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbe here so forgive me for some dumb questions please.

I used to live in Florida where I kept reef tanks. I now live in the moutains of North Carolina where it's hard to find reef stores. When I lived in Florida I made a lot of custom canopies for myself and other people. I used 13 watt PC lights in 2.5 canopies and 32 watt PC lights in 5.5 canopies. It ended up being inexpensive for a furniture grade product.

So here's my question - are PC lights not that good for Fresh Water? Given the variety of heat ranges I would think that something would work.

I've decided to give up reef tanks and go back to freshwater since that is there pretty much is around here. I'm trying to educate myself a little.

Thanks, Hog

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm not sure about your question, but you're about an hour and 20 minutes from Reef Magic in Boone NC. It used to be a pretty good reef store, and it's still around so it's probably still good.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Those options you listed for 2.5g and 5.5g tanks are perfectly fine for FW also. The only thing that really matters here, in case you don't already know, is to stay away from actinics or 50/50 bulbs. Actinics are worthless for FW, and some people argue that they are downright bad for FW tanks.

But really, what went for nano SW tanks will work for nano FW tanks. Unless you were into the high-light coral reef tanks... if so, you will have to start thinking in terms of less wattage.

But at least in the examples you gave above, those will be fine, although 32w in a 5.5g canopy might require the addition of some CO2 or Flourish Excel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts