The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Started this tank a little over a year ago, trying to do a nano peninsula tank for my kitchen island. Basically, so I’d have something interesting to look while at the sink. I couldn’t initially figure out a way to effectively hide all the ugly wires and cables given the location, so put that idea on the back burner.

Initial layout

• Lifegard 7.4 gal AIO peninsula style tank
• “Island” layout. ADA branch wood and Yamaya (?…leftovers I’ve had for a while) stone and tropical river sand
• Cheapo undimmable 9w LED strip light (later swapped out for 11w strip dimmed to 40%, much less algae maintenance, nice).
• 50w heater in filter compartment

Flooded

• Wanted to make this ultra low tech and maintenance, with no stem plants. Mini Java fern, nana petite and Java moss only. Lotsa super glue to attach to hardscape.
• Roughly 6 gals flooded (of which half a gal is in the filter compartment)
• Weekly 50% water change with some minimal weekly liquid ferts added

Fish added and background change

• Ember tetras only, started with 7.
• Changed the background to black to better hide the outlet organizer that’s wedged in the teeny amount of space between the tank and the sink. You could make out the outline of the box through the translucent film, which was annoying.

Peninsula!

• About 6 months in, finally figured out a way to hide the wiring while having the tank open on both sides by making a “custom” outlet box from ABS plastic sheets, that I cut to size with my dremel and held together w super glue. It’s not exactly top craftsmanship, but it does the job, and the texture of the box matches the black film that covers the AIO filter area of the tank fairly well. So it looks pretty seamless from a distance.

Current FTS

• Viewable from the living room, kitchen island seating, and the sink. Makes doing dishes a little less dull.

Babies!

• So I started with 7 embers, and I unfortunately lost 3 along the way (...I blame topping off the tank with undechlorinated water for months, yes I’m an idiot). Luckily I have had 4 babies that have made it to adulthood, so I have 8 total now. And I spy two more little guys that are now big enough that I’m pretty sure they’ll make it too. It’s going to start being a problem soon if fry continue to make it to adulthood, given the size of the tank. Good problem to have I guess.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Really, really, really well done. You can never underestimate the value and beauty of simplicity. You... accidentally bred tetra...? And the fry survived! Congrats. Keep doing exactly what you're doing.

In that final pic directly behind the ember tetra there is a plant that looks like an anubias with red marbling, what is that? Thank you.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Babies # 5 and 6 are officially out and about now. 10 embers total (and growing?)…I think I have a problem.

there is a plant that looks like an anubias with red marbling, what is that?
The “red marbling” on the anubias and buce is algae, sadly!

·
Super Moderator
15,782 Posts
I think I have a problem.
A very good problem to have. In all these years in the hobby, I'm not sure I've ever seen Ember fry. Lil Ember bebes! For real exciting.

Love this tank so much in its current iteration. Really illustrates what's possible with peninsula-style tanks like those from Lifegard and others from companies like Fluval.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it turns out there are 4 more little embers not just 2! I can only see all of them at feeding time and it’s impossible to get them all in one photo, but here are three of them:

So that makes 8 total embers that have been raised in this tank. I’m scratching my head as to why the survival rate is getting so much better recently. Only change I can think of is that I’ve reduced the amount of ferts being added (~5 ppm K and N down to ~3 ppm weekly), but it seems unlikely given the low concentrations to start with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts