The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just thought i would run this by a few people and see if I am doing this right. I have been a saltwater guy for a few years but i have always kept a small freshwater tank also. Overall I really like the freshwater better. Things are a bit more simple. So I am converting my nano cube 12g over to a planted tank. I have read quite a bit but I would just like to make sure I am on the right track.

Here is what i have done so far.

Tank is cleaned

Flora-max substrate

Maxi-Jet 400

Chemi-Pure in 2nd chamber along with small bag of Biomax , couple of sponges in first chamber

Switched lights to 24w 6400k daylight bulbs

Now i have a couple of questions.

I am shutting down my JBJ Half Moon tank. Is it ok if i move over some of the pea gravel and water? I am pretty sure this is the right thing to do since it will help with cycling.

What kind of water flow do planted tanks like? Also I am doing tetras in the tank.

I would like to start with a couple of Amazon Swords. Will my lights be ok?

I also like the way amazon frogbit looks floating on the water. I love how it makes the lights look. Would that be ok in my tank? If not any other ideas for a floater?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tank is all set up and going good. Only problem is the dang fans quit. So i ordered the nano tuners kit. Looks like the only option is to drill a hole in the back of the hood to feed the wires through. Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep I am right again! :) You do have to drill a couple of small holes in the back of the hood. Plus the fans are a bit shorter, but the bolts still work. Since no one has ever dealt with any of this stuff I hope this helps the next guy or gal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah it wasnt too bad. They work really good, but they are pretty noisy. Overall I am pretty happy though.

Need to pick me up a couple of cleaners this weekend. Thinking maybe a few ghost shrimp. ??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well here she is . Its a work in progress. Some of the tanks on here are really amazing! Gives me great ideas for mine.

Your right that Amazon sword has really grown even since i got it. But what i think is crazy is how quick the frog bit has grown. Not really the pads on top but the roots seems to grow a bit every day. Its really neat to watch!

Kinda glad to be away from the saltwater. This is pretty neat!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah im going to have to do that soon. That thing is really growing!

Got some green algae showing up. I guess its just going through a small cycle. I guess we will see what happens in a couple of weeks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.