The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a total convert to canister filters after my experience with using a biomaster 250 on a ~10 gallon tank. I like the look of glass/metal lily pipes in a tank,the extra water volume in the system, and the near silent operation. I have a UNS delta 60 I'm trying on a 5 gallon planted tank with mixed feelings and I'm wondering what other models of small canister filters people have had good experiences with. Price isn't really a factor for me.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I'm a total convert to canister filters after my experience with using a biomaster 250 on a ~10 gallon tank. I like the look of glass/metal lily pipes in a tank,the extra water volume in the system, and the near silent operation. I have a UNS delta 60 I'm trying on a 5 gallon planted tank with mixed feelings and I'm wondering what other models of small canister filters people have had good experiences with. Price isn't really a factor for me.
Using an oase 100 is working great for me on my 8.6 gallon shallow tank. I just turned down the flow with a ball valve.

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
611 Posts
I have an Oase 80 on a Waterbox 22L and Oase Thermosmart 100 and 200 on 2 different Waterbox 60L tanks. If you're looking for good flow go with the 200. If you want low flow for betta go with the 100.

·
Super Moderator
17,169 Posts
It's hard to go wrong with the Eheim Classic series.
This x1000. I've had some 2211s running nonstop on small tanks since 2009. The ones I've purchased in the past 2 years are just as great as the older ones. They're not as hyped on Instagram accounts of inexperienced "influencers" but they're tried and true. Time tested, to say the least. Spare parts are readily available and cheap for what they are. 2211/Classic 150 seems to hover around the $80 point in the US market.

Eheims come with everything you need to control flow - no need for additional parts.

Also can't forget the smaller Zoo Med canisters. They're $35-$40ish these days and even though they're cheap, they're reliable. The Oase FiltoSmart 60 is that filter just twice the price. Other Oase filters are great if you want integrated heating, though.

UNS, in my experience, aren't worth half what they cost. Not when compared to everything else available on the market. Poor design, cheap material, weird, unrestricted flow inside the filters themselves. I'd rather buy a $30 SunSun from fleabay (another good-ish option, honestly.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
It's hard to go wrong with the Eheim Classic series.
True! I recently restarted an Eheim that ran on tanks for over a decade before I stored it away in my alternatingly scorching and freezing attic for another decade or so. It's working wonderfully- practically silent! My dad has had similar experience running the same Eheim canister filter since maybe the 70's? They're very easy to customize media on too. No need to stick to a particular manufacturer for what goes inside- though that's probably true of several other brands too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.