The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what do you guys think?

11/21/2005

No filter on yet. Ordered a nano filter, and coralife mini aqualight. It is an ocean free tank thanks to Boun. Substrate is ada aquasoil.

Update 12/03/2005

Got the mini aqualight (18 watts) no filter yet. Things look like they are growing. Soon I will take out some plant species. Any opinions on what I should take out or leave?

Plants
Juncus repens
Polygonum muricatum
Hygro sp red
Hemigraphis trian
Downoi
Utricularia sp.
weeping moss
Ammania sp Bonsai

Fauna
Cherry shrimp
Male endlers

Ian

·
Registered
48 Posts
No filter? No light? You can't cycle your tank without a filter. Other than that, your tank looks good for a start knowing that it's 8x6".

·
Registered
862 Posts
I am Just curious why a tank wouldn't cycle without a filter?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well, you can but it's not recommended, you need a filter to keep it going and you'll find yourself doing water changes very often without one.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Raphael said:
Well, you can but it's not recommended, you need a filter to keep it going and you'll find yourself doing water changes very often without one.
That's not really true. In nature there are no filters...everything is a cycle.

Plants will naturally take in ammonia and nitrite. If there were no plants in there- that would be a different story.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Raphael said:
the only thing a filter will really be doing is mechanical filtration anyway. But like I said I am getting one. Plus the endlers and cherry shrimp don't have much of a bioload, I put one flake it and they do not finish it totally.

Ian

·
Registered
627 Posts
you dont even need a filter. I didn't use a filter on my 75 gallon. If the plants are growing, they are filtering the water. If you do 2 waterchanges a week you shuld be fine. IMO, no nano tanks should have filters. They are too big for such a small tank,and make it look ugly.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I made a homemade filter for my 5 gallon... I simply found an empty fish food container, punched a hole in the center of the lid, stuck a tube connector on a tube, put it in through the hole, opened the lid, and added gravel from a cycled tank. You could also add filter floss to this. I then connected the tubing to an air pump.

I careful hid my "filter" in 10 lbs. of gravel. You could get an air diffuser (sp?) to slow down the flow.

No tank should be without a filter, besides betta tanks (since they don't like a strong flow).

·
Registered
566 Posts
i have my nano 1 gallon running now for almost three weeks without any filtration or waterchange. it has a 9 watts over it. the plants are growing well. I beginning to see algae on the glass. I think I will have to clean it soon. I did ordered a nano filter from bigals just didn't have time to p ick it up from my friend yet :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Maybe a matter of taste, but to my eye, there are too many different plant species in there...

Fig

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Pick up that filter from your friend so that I can verify it'll fit! :hihi:

Looks like a good start, but a bit too many plant varieties in there, but we'll have to wait and see what grows in there for you.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I was thinking about making a diy mini canister filter.

You can take a rio 50 (size of a quarter) and submerge it into the tank. Then pipe the tubing out into a sealed bottle or container of some sort with in and out barbs. Fill the container with filter floss and you are done. I'm looking for a container that isn't so ugly looking.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts