The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd start a journal for this tiny tank.
It comes up to 4 gallon volume, but the measurements are 18.5"L 6"W 7.5"H
It has an unusual long footprint but I love it for a nano setup.

Plants:
Duckweed
Hydrocotyle Tripartita "Japan"
Cryptocoryne parva (its at that fussy melt stage right now, but is coming back)

Fish stock:
6 boraras urophthalmoides

Inverts:
1 small horned nerite snail

Substrate:
Play sand

pH 7.6
GH 89.5ppm/5DH
KH 145ppm/8KH
Temp 75-78F

Heater: mini betta heater (hidden behind rocks)

Filter: DIY air powered jar-sponge filter

Decor:
Mini catappa leaves
River rocks collected locally

Lighting:
1 mini nano LED
1 music sheet lamp (rated 6500k)

Fertilizer:
Thrive S 1-3× weekly

Tank itself has been established for 4 months
20210124_175354.jpg

Aren't they little cuties, so small
20210124_162503.jpg

20210124_162513(0).jpg

20210124_162516.jpg

It's lightly planted, but carefully chosen plant choices to suit this tank while keeping towards mostly Asian plants.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:
Added 9 blue neocaridina shrimp
And have 4 more boraras urophthalmoides on the way to make a group of 10.

My crypt parva is starting to show new growth, so hoping that comes back soon.

Photos of occupants

If you look in front of the shrimp, the crypt parva is showing a new leaf starting to grow out of the stump

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the lighting? Your tank is so beautiful, I love the aesthetic and stocking!
The lighting is mostly for display, its a music sheet led light rated 6500k but the tank relies on sunlight for most of the plant growth as the tank is on my window ledge.
At a horrible adapting phase for the hydrocotyle right now so some of it has melted but it has new growth at same time.

My cryptocoryne parva I think may not come back, it never recovered after it arrived from shipping.

C'est la vie. I'll have to move on if it doesn't lol shame, I love me some crypts.

the shrimp really like the hydrocotyle though. They sit on all the little leaves like personal chairs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Those shrimp are stunning. I have had my fair share of issues w crypts before too- worth another try if you really want them! (assuming yours are goners)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah, I love crypts. I've got the larger varieties in my other tanks, just know they're badly prone to melting. Usually they bounce back, but these ones not so much.
But crypts are always worth it. Ive got a pontederiifolia taking over another tank with runners everywhere lol

Those shrimp are stunning. I have had my fair share of issues w crypts before too- worth another try if you really want them! (assuming yours are goners)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, RIP old setup, the hydrocotyle tripartita was not adapting to the light, getting leggy and not agreeing with the floaters, so I moved it to another tank.
In its place, I placed some baby cryptocoryne wendtii to grow out as they will grow too large eventually for this tank, but for time being can stay.

Might instead add some moss loose in between the gaps in the rocks, instead of the crypts, but for now this will do.

Next moss trim from another tank, ill add moss to this one.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Just FYI on those crypt parva: Don't loose hope unless the rhizome melts. When I got mine and they melted back, the original rhizomes never properly regrew, but nearly every single one put out a side shoot after probably a month, and 2 months after planting they had started filling in. My other crypts always just either kept growing (in the case of the tissue culture plants) or melted and bounced back from the same growth point (potted crypts), but parva was definitely the weird one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just FYI on those crypt parva: Don't loose hope unless the rhizome melts. When I got mine and they melted back, the original rhizomes never properly regrew, but nearly every single one put out a side shoot after probably a month, and 2 months after planting they had started filling in. My other crypts always just either kept growing (in the case of the tissue culture plants) or melted and bounced back from the same growth point (potted crypts), but parva was definitely the weird one.
Got 4 and all but ONE the rhizome melted to nothing. I've moved the remaining rhizome to another tank to try to nurse it back with better lighting. Just floating it lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did a moss trim on my other tank, so the boraras got the moss in place of the tripartita.

Will also be good shelter for shrimplets from my blue shrimp too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts