The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I recently moved cross county to a small NYC apartment and, with the Pandemic and so much time inside it has really reignited my desire to keep a tank. Being space constrained, I opted for the largest practical size I could have which wound up being the UNS 60L (that's 60cm LONG, not Liters, and its about 6 gallons); the tank is 60cm x 20cm x 20cm so its a long, low tank. Update: My UNS arrived broken and, although the seller will send me a new one at some point, they have none in stock and no idea when they'll be getting them so I've impatiently ordered a new tank, the JBJ Rimless Desktop Aquarium 10 Gallon (Dimensions H: 23.6" L: 10.2" W: 10.6" H ).

I'll be doing a lightly dirted tank, capped with Fluval Stratum and then a layer of decorative sand in order to handle a moderately plant the tank for long term growth. I will have an Aqua Worx Orion 24" LED Light, a tiny 4gal HOB filter which I'll be filling with Seachem Matrix Bio Media 250ml complimented by a Submersible Aquarium Internal Filter with Pump on the other side of the tank to ensure proper water circulation from end to end.

I've currently got a 3gal with Cherry Shrimp that I'll be breaking down and transferring into the new tank once I've got it fully cycled but I'd like to include some kind of shoaling fish also, if possible (Not looking for Bettas or Pea Puffers who will eat my shrimp) and I'm finding conflicting information around what kinds of fish can live in a 6 gallon 10 gallon (using 5 gallon recommendations as those seem way more common) and whether the shape of my tank will meaningfully affect stocking as it gives longer swim lanes but less vertical room.

Fish I'm considering:
  • Celestial Pearl Danios
  • Some flashy Guppies
  • Green Neon Tetra

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got a 5.5 gallon tank going, and I opted for just one species. 5 Glow light tetras, hardier than neons, usually available at most LFS. I planted heavily so they feel at home, but left open swimming space over the entire length. While most will say tetras are for 15 gallon and larger tanks, mine perked up and do not show abnormal or overly aggressive behaviors. YMMV, but just focus on one species. Probably a betta is the best choice for tanks that small, but I don't really dig them. At the very least, my Glow Lights have the tank to themselves, I tried to match their habitat as good as possible, there are no predators, they are on a well balanced diet, and water quality is superb.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
A trio of male guppies or endlers might work. I think medaka can live in 5 gallons, possibly chili rasbora. I'd say pygmy cory but they would most likely eat shrimplets at a pretty high rate but some people have good luck with them with shrimp. You're going to want a not so active nano school, not an active school. Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Chili rasboras were high on my list if it weren't for the fact they are not available locally, usually wild caught, and shipping to my region is not really an option unless guaranteed next day air and even that could be complicated not to mention the high cost involved.
I 100% sympathize- I currently have to travel 45 minutes to receive anything I order and on average they are 5 days later than scheduled. CPD could work, possibly. A trio of male guppies would definitely work if those are easier to access for you. CPD might require a little more maintenance simply because you'd have to be technically overstocked in order to keep a proper school.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the thoughtful responses! I'll update as soon as I make a decision (more recommendations are always welcome!)

I'm not going Betta as I have always loved the look of nano fish shoaling and this will be the largest, and only, tank I'll have for the foreseeable future - this is as large as I can go without disrupting the rest of my decor.

As far as cost and shipping, I'd rather pay more for the right fish than limit myself as this will be my one and only tank. As long as they're buyable within the Continental US so any and all recommendations are great!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Update: Well, unfortunately my UNS came broken and, although the seller will send me a new one at some point, they have none in stock and no idea when they'll be getting them so I've impatiently ordered a new tank, one which just barely fits the space I have available and will give the inhabitants some more room to roam.

I bought the JBJ Rimless Desktop Aquarium 10 Gallon (Dimensions H: 23.6" L: 10.2" W: 10.6" H ) which will not make a HOB filter impossible so I'll need to figure out some kind of external filter like an Oase that can use lily pipes. I dont want to use the clip in filter that comes with the tank.

Ideally, this will also make a shoal of 5-6 nano fish more comfortable now that I'm at a 10 gallon common size.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Update: So the JBJ Rimless Desktop Aquarium 10 Gallon (Dimensions H: 23.6" L: 10.2" W: 10.6" H ) arrived and, while I wont be using the filter or light that came with it, the tank seems good. The tank came with a plastic stand - is this better or worse than a leveling mat for sitting the tank on?

I've ordered a custom cabinet to support the tank and hide away an external filter, I'm deciding between the Oase Biomaster 250 or the Oase FiltoSmart Thermo 100.

For stocking, I will have:
  • a group of Cherry Shrimp (no idea how many as they're always breeding)
  • 1 amano shrimp for algae control
  • An unspecified amount of pond snails and 1 assassin snail to hopefully fix this
  • And ???
I am not interested in a Betta fish or a pea puffer as it would likely kill off all my cherry shrimp... so now that I've bumped up to a 1p0 Gallon, I'm really into the idea of a shoaling fish but what can I safely stock based on the filtration and planting I'm planning? I see a lot of contradicting information online.
  1. A shoal of 8 Cardinal Tetras
  2. A shoal of 8 CPDs
  3. ???
Here is how the hardscape is shaping up.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I wouldn't do cardinals, personally, they aren't as small as they seem like they would be, mine are the same size as my rummynoses and if you're looking for true schooling behaviour there's not enough room. If you're okay with just shoaling they might work. Green neon, ember tetra, CPD, pygmy cory, any micro rasbora, rice fish, neons. I can probably think of more but those are the first that come to mind.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks all for the responses! I'm hoping for some additional numbers versus just fish recommendations. I'm familiar with CPDs, but continue to see conflicting information on how many CPDs can be comfortable in a 10 gallon etc.

Any recos for stocking numbers?
  • A shoal of X Cardinal Tetras
  • A shoal of X CPDs
  • A shoal of X Green Neon Tetras
  • A shoal of X Harlequin Rasboras
Can something like a Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami live in a 10 gallon comfortably? Maybe a pair?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
If you aren't planning on keeping anything else you could probably do a pair of powder blue dg, good luck finding a female 😉 cardinals, I honestly wouldn't do, personally. CPD 8-10 if just them, same for green neon (you could probably do up to 12 for these schoolers, though, if it's a single school). I'm on the fence about suggesting 5- 8 cardinals, but planted right, maybe...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you aren't planning on keeping anything else you could probably do a pair of powder blue dg, good luck finding a female 😉 cardinals, I honestly wouldn't do, personally. CPD 8-10 if just them, same for green neon (you could probably do up to 12 for these schoolers, though, if it's a single school). I'm on the fence about suggesting 5- 8 cardinals, but planted right, maybe...
Thank you, this is what I was looking for! I wont be mixing species other than their shrimp/snail tankmates the fish will be just one species, trying to get as many as humane into the tank rather than breaking them up.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
It's a toss up if dg go after shrimp, but a heavily planted tank should give you the least amount of potential casualties. I have no personal experience with shrimp yet, however, so I'm not saying this based on experience, just a crap ton of research I've done for my most recent expedition lol. The fish aspect of it is first hand. I treat dwarf gourami and betta very similarly in the context of having tank mates lol it all depends on the fish.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
It's a toss up if dg go after shrimp, but a heavily planted tank should give you the least amount of potential casualties. I have no personal experience with shrimp yet, however, so I'm not saying this based on experience, just a crap ton of research I've done for my most recent expedition lol. The fish aspect of it is first hand. I treat dwarf gourami and betta very similarly in the context of having tank mates lol it all depends on the fish.
That is my thought as well. I'd assume the DG would go after at least shrimplets and juveniles, perhaps not fully grown adults, but I will have the tank fairly well planted and will let the shrimp establish prior to adding any fish, so I woul think some level of balance should be achieved without wiping out the colony.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.