The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, is this a anubias nana "petite" or no? the rhizome rotted away, but now it is better, and has even grown some new leaves. The leaves are about the size of a marble.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Largest leaves are around the size of a penny, maybe a nickel. The place i got it from has anubias and apongetons for plants. they are an african cichlid store. the guy said he thought it could be a petite, but wasn't sure. i got it for 8$, actually my grandma got it for 8$, but after we figured out the rhizome rotted, i took it for:intensive care"
if it doesn't get too big, then this is it's permanent home.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good idea, say 1:20 solution for 1 minute, then rinse and soak for about 30 minutes?
there are cherries in the tank, so i don't want any ammonia.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
At least to me, petite and regular nana does not matter too much anymore.
I usually get petite at first, and several months/ a year later I end up with a nana. They just grow bigger (not only longer rhizome and many leaves) than the first time I got them. This case also happens to many of my friends over here. The genetics could be lead to a common source I suppose.

In the US I cannot say much. Perhaps you guys are lucky enough to get the real petite gene for permanent.

·
Registered
205 Posts
At least to me, petite and regular nana does not matter too much anymore.
I usually get petite at first, and several months/ a year later I end up with a nana. They just grow bigger (not only longer rhizome and many leaves) than the first time I got them. This case also happens to many of my friends over here. The genetics could be lead to a common source I suppose.

In the US I cannot say much. Perhaps you guys are lucky enough to get the real petite gene for permanent.
I have noticed this as well I bought a bunch about 7 or so months ago at a club auction and they were from different sources and some are tiny not even as big as a dime and some of the other plants are the size of a nickel. I have "golden" variety of anubias and the bigger leafed "petite" are not much smaller than the "golden" now but a few of them are still staying small though.

The one pictured is what the color of my "golden" looks like all my "petite" are very dark green I'll take some pictures tomorrow to compare.

·
Registered
205 Posts

I put the "petite" on top of the "golden" don't mind the green spot as I just pulled them out of a seriously neglected tank I have.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I was told by someone that by manipulating the environment it's grown in, petite can become nana, and vice versa.

Also, a lime-green color on an anubias might indicate a deficiency, which would also explain why algae is growing on the plant.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Also, a lime-green color on an anubias might indicate a deficiency, which would also explain why algae is growing on the plant.
I bought it this way about 7 or 8 months ago as a new variety called Golden the is definitely a lack of care for those over the past 4 months thats why there is algae but thats all that has changed on the plant other than new leaf growth. I actually bought it from Curt the owner of plantgeek.net at my clubs auction. Click the link below for info AquaBid.com - Your Aquatic Auction Website

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have had petite for a few years now and havent come across abnormal growth in the leafs. All pretty much constant in size. Dufus, what stored did you buy this from?! I yet to come around a store that sells such a plant. In fact i brought some over to Gabe at AA and it was the first time he had ever seen the plant.
Its hard to tell from that picture.

If you really want some I can sell you some (fairly cheap) in a few weeks, just let me know.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, i think this is petite, and i think it is suffering deficiancy, possibly phosphate or nitrate.
Peteybob: i bought it at davesrare aquarium fish. All he has is anubias and apongetons, and for fish he ONLY has cichlids, mostly african, but a few large SA cichlids. He used to be armkes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts