The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you feel about naming your aquarium? I think it's a little silly but I vaguely understand it too. Why did or didn't you name your tank? Or what is your favorite name?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't (well actually didn't) name my tanks. Then I started to view people's threads and journals on their planted tanks and scapes and noticed the whole naming thing. At first I thought it was silly too but with a tank that you spend so much time putting together with planning, arranging hardscape, getting the right "feel", giving it character, then giving the finished creation a name or theme actually seemed somewhat... appropriate!

I totally agree with the whole painting comment. It's still kind of silly but fun and its nice to refer to a tank by "(name)" instead of "member's tank in (blank) thread."

Randy

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
I think it depends on the person and on the tank. Some tanks are difficult to name, some just scream to be named. Take Ugly Genius' old scape, Riven Impact. It had a huge rock right in the focal point and made a real impact at first glance. The name fit perfectly.

But I do agree with what Wasserpest said, (using my tank as an example), "Halcyon" sounds a lot nicer than "my 20 gallon long tank".

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I just named my two year old tank this week. I've been naming my vehicles for a while, with such winners as "the dub", "rustbucket", "the piece", and my current daily driver "the heep". Only cars with character get names, I've owned a couple of newer cars that didn't break down and just never got named.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My boyfriend's tanks have names but mine don't. I think the biggest reason we named his is that they're about the same size and are in the same room, whereas mine are all different sizes and in different rooms. Mine are "the nano", "the ten gal" and "the big tank".

One the boyfriend's tanks first got a name because he had a pea puffer in it that I kind of thought of as a viking - creepy and murderous - and then while we were on vacation the light fixture fell into the tank and killed the fish, so the tank became known as Valhalla. His other tank is Paradise because it first had paradise fish in it, and because it was the first tank in which he really figured out how to grow lush plants. Plus the nice symmetry of Valhalla/Paradise. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
The closest I've come to naming tanks is "mine" and "yours". Cars? Sorta. Computers? Definitely! (and that takes forever, to keep within a theme)

Luckily, at most I've had 3 tanks at once (mine, yours, the small/hospital one).

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I got into naming my tanks from easy reference and my first tank I named came to me when one night I was relaxing and watching the fish and I told my wife that it was so relaxing and tranquil to sit and watch. So hence..Tranquility for my 90 gal tank. Then if you are a fan of the Matrix Series, in The Matrix Reloaded, when they go see the holder of the keymaker, he talks french and says french is such a eloquent language and you can even curse and it sounds graceful, so I got the idea to name a couple of my other tanks by french names which are in my sig. I guess the names are good reference and like other people have said it is easier to say Tranquility then my 90 gal corner bowfront. But if I were to say the Edvard Munch painting would you have known I was talking about "The Scream" painting.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I just named my two year old tank this week. I've been naming my vehicles for a while, with such winners as "the dub", "rustbucket", "the piece", and my current daily driver "the heep". Only cars with character get names, I've owned a couple of newer cars that didn't break down and just never got named.
What do you drive? I have a 97 Wrangler. Vehicles aren't named, they earn their names.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.