The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30g long, low tech, Finnex CRV, medium planted easy plants, rosy tetras, RCS, sterbai corys...
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone take a look at this spot on my rosy tetra? I first thought it might be ich, but with the closeup shot I'm not sure as it's oddly shaped. Just noticed yesterday, with no new spots on him or any other fish today.

I did notice this the day after I added 5 sterbai who all looked great after their (short) 2 week quarantine. Water parameters are 0/0/5 and substrate is vacuumed pretty well every week.

This male is definitely the most skittish of the bunch, so maybe the new friends triggered it..

·
Registered
30g long, low tech, Finnex CRV, medium planted easy plants, rosy tetras, RCS, sterbai corys...
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
better shot I think

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Really hard to tell. Could just be an injury. Maybe he got scraped up darting away from his new tank mates? I'd keep my water parameters pristine and keep an eye on it. Hopefully it's just a scratch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope so, it seems smooth and not fuzzy. I guess that what injuries look like? I'll try to get another shot tonight and in the am.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
It does look like a scratch or a scrape to me. It's not red or sore looking and it's not raised or fuzzy looking. I've had plenty of fish get scraped up and look like that (worse sometimes) and just keeping the water clean and comfortable has taken care of it. Keep an eye out for signs of infection, but it this point I wouldn't treat him with anything. As long as he's still eating, moving around normally and breathing normally I'd just keep an eye on him.

·
Registered
9 fancy guppies, 2 mystery snails, 2 nerite snails, & 10 cherry barbs in a 10G tank!
111 Posts
Looks like ich. I'd recommend getting Nox-Ich to treat it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sat update, no new spots on any fish just standing by with a little stress coat...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
3 plus week update... apparently we are not doing do good. Obviously not ich, but either has gotten a secondary infection, or this is something different entirely. It grew so slowly that for almost 3 weeks I thought it was unchanged. Definitely got some height to it now. Any opinions on a course to take? I assume some antifungal maybe, but this seems so general I'm not sure where to start...

I posted my original parameters in the op, and they are unchanged. 0/0/5. I actually have trouble developing nitrates with my plant load and fish stock level. Anyway, pretty clean with weekly 25% changes and gravel vacs. If there were any aggression in this tank, it seems to come from him. Though it's pretty minimal...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aggressively. His behavior has been unchanged. The light coloration in the picks just comes and goes through the day. He still is frequently dark red and black as he has ever been.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
The bacterial infection is getting worse, that is why you are seeing fungal growth.
Do you have any medications on hand that has as an active ingredient malachite green/and or methylene blue? These work as antibacterials/antifungals. it should be all the fish needs to recover. These active ingredients are common in ICH medications like Seachem Paraguard or Hikari ICH-X.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have kordons rid ich, which is malachite and formalin. This is the worst time too as my qt tank has some new rosys that got ich on their 2nd. week of qt (they are being treated now). I wonder if I could just dump him in with them at this point. He shouldn't get ich now that the water is being treated daily...I'd just have to adjust him to the 82 vs the 78 he's in now.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I have kordons rid ich, which is malachite and formalin. This is the worst time too as my qt tank has some new rosys that got ich on their 2nd. week of qt (they are being treated now). I wonder if I could just dump him in with them at this point. He shouldn't get ich now that the water is being treated daily...I'd just have to adjust him to the 82 vs the 78 he's in now.
Yes, Thats fine. Unlikely to get ICH at this point,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts