The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this fish yesterday at a lfs. The pet store owner told me that it was a long finned oto, and that it wouldn't get much larger than it is now, 3-4 inches. He said that they were perfect for planted aquariums. I've searched the internet but can't find anything that looks like it. I hope someone here can help!

Sorry for the poor quality of the third picture especially... it's the best I can do with my experience and the camera I have. :icon_wink

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Found some pictures of it online, and yep that is what it is. It'd be nice if they'd tell you what you're buying and not misleading you. Oh well, we're happy we got him... he's a really neat fish! :tongue:

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Print out the page about the ABN Pleco and take it to the store. He'll probably say "oh, long finned Oto is just a common name for them". I can see how one could call them a long finned Oto..........or not.

I wish people knew what the hell they were talking about before selling something....

·
Registered
594 Posts
Longfinned otto... ROTFLMAO! and I thought I heard them all!

Definitely an albino longfinned bristlenose, got a whole tank full of baby bristles (brown and a few albinos) in my tanks ;) Get about 4-5"

BTW, looks like you got a male, females have little to no "bristles" on their lips :)

Hopefully he was ignorant enough to give it to you for an "otto" price ;), they can be pretty pricey.

Tina

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, we really like him. We paid $25 for him. We seen on Drs. Foster and Smith Live Aquaria that they were wanting around $55 for one. So we think we got a pretty good deal??? Thanks for the responses!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.