The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says guys help me figure this one out. This is a 120gal tank with 2x175 MH lights that run for 8hrs a day. I have pressurized CO2 that should be at 30ppm (to confirm this tonight). The substrate is aquasoil. I dose 1/4 teaspoons of KNO3, and 1/8 teaspoon of K2SO4, PO4, and CSM+B, and 1/2 teaspoon Mg (epson salts) each day. I cut back from .5 teaspoons of KNO3 because of all my fish and I was getting really high nitrates on my test kit (like 80+). Let me know what you guys think and what I need to change so I can turn this tank back into the jungle it once was and can be again.

·
Registered
974 Posts
That's an awful lot of phosphates daily. Have you checked your phosphate level? I bet it reads over ten.

My guess is that there isn't enough CO2....how many bubbles/second and what diffusion method do you use?

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use 2 of the redsea 500 diffusors. I run probably 7-8 bubbles a second between the two. I have had to turn it down slightly because my fish begin to gasp at the surface later in the day.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
looks like light/co2 to me... with those MHs you should be alright on light... are you sure your CO2 rate is where it should be set? sometimes near the end of a co2 bottle mine gets unpredictable...

Oqsy

·
Registered
974 Posts
Recheck your CO2 levels and phosphates, that's a start. If you don't have a Lamotte test kit, your Nitrates may or may not be that high.

How often do you do a water change?

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also just tested my phosphates and nitrates. Phosphates looked to be between .1 and .2 and nitrates were somewhere between 0 and 10. I am red green colorblind so i have a REALLY hard time figuring out what color these things are but they should be somewhere within that range, assuming the test kit is even accurate. I do a 30% or so water change once a week.

·
Registered
974 Posts
next step would be reassessing your CO2 - what's your pH and KH?
Or try the pH-change after outgassing method (I would suggest doing both and seeing what the results are).

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Anybody has chemical breakdown of Plantex CSM + B?
I saw it once but forgot to bookmark it..

Calcium deficiency causes the leaves to warp and curl.
Potassium deficiency will cause holes in leaves & yellowing.
Nitrogen deficiency will cause yellowing as well.

Your phosphate & nitrogen is kinda low. I believe for the plants to use nitrogen properly, phosphate, in proportion, needs to be in the water column. it's like a 1(PO4) to 10(N) ratio... The more advanced planters here can give you a definite answer.

your CO2 sounds fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.