1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a 55 gallon high tech.

My substrate will be mineralized top soil caped with tahitian black sand
Co2
Aquaclear 110 and A Ehiem Pro II Canister filter (eventually a sump to replace these)

I have been looking at lights and while I know there are certain brands that are wonderful I would like to know opinions of off brands.
I found a light on Amazon that i like alot, it's T5no, comes with 4 bulbs and 8 LED's. It's 48" L, 10.5" W so it would cover a good amount of the tank, and it has 3 switches so you can switch between lights or led's. It's just over $100, and has only a few reviews, but they are good. So do I risk getting a fixture that may not be as durable, but is a good price for what I need right now, or just deal with it and buy the pricier name brand?

·
Registered
754 Posts
If money/budget isn't an issue, spring for the name brands. You've already spent money on name brand filters, why skimp on the lights?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Avoid the grossly overpriced stuff.

Avoid the ridiculously, suspiciously cheap stuff.

I have a local friend with a BRAND NEW (early 2011) Odysea fixture that caught fire, which is one of the "budget" brands out there.

For a high-tech 55g tank I would actually be much, much more likely to use 4 PAR30 LED light bulbs. Something around 60-80 watts total (all 4 added together), cool white.

They just use regular light sockets and don't give tons of light overspill either.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Par lights wont work for the room I have, or the resources I have to use to try and hang them above the tank.

Oh, and I got the filters for free as well as the actual tank. I am building the stand right now, so currently I am in this project $26

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Might look at Hydroponic stores for alternatives to some of the pricer light fixtures.
With CO2 injection, might take quite a few LED bulbs but T8 and T5 fixtures are pretty much same with respect to application, with exception of perhaps ballast life.
Should think any T5 or T8 fixture with appropriate bulbs would work,doesn't have to be fixture advertised for aquariums such as those sold at online store or fish store.
Would just be careful with regards to splash gaurd or lack thereof, if fixture is to rest on the aquarium. IMHO

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
depends on what you consider off brand...

I have a fishneedit.com t5ho that although was pretty inexpensive compared to major brands, was hand made in the USA and works like a charm. It's a small company and I'd hate to say it, but i've had more luck with it than I have had with coralife and other name brand lights.

Just something to consider.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'll throw out catalinaaquarium.com 2x54W T5HO here:

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=71_190&products_id=1419

Call them, have them add a cord and switch (each bulb on a different switch) to give you lighting options. I also have them add hanging brackets and give me a splash guard to increase my lighting options. These fixtures come with bulbs, make sure you specify you which bulbs you want. I own 4 of these fixtures, have never had an issue with them, in fact, most who own them really like them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts